Chapter 22:

i wake up and Peeta looks down at me. "Hey..." he says kissing my forehead. he pulls me into his lap and i rest my head on his chest. he takes my hhand in his two that are tied together.

"Hey..." i respond softly. we sit there for a while when a Peacekeeper comes in. he grabs Peeta's arm with a tight grip and drags him out. "PEETA!!!" i shout as the door slams shut. i lay down on the floor, and take deep breaths, closing my eyes and imagining happier times.

i try to imagine that me Peeta and the kids are sitting down and having a nice family dinner. but somehow it fades to being in the pool outback. i feel like i'm drowning and i cant find Peeta or the kids anywhere.

my eyes burst open and i sigh realizing my vision was true. i'm in a small pool of water, thats freezing cold.  start shivering and i feel a sinister laugh coming from behind me. then i realize i'm tied to a pole. i cant move and the water is rising closer and closer to my face. if it goes high enough i'll have to hold my breath and if that runs out i'll drown and die.  the rising comes to a complete halt suddenl and Paylor comes around to face me. "now i'm going to ask you some questions and for every wrong answer the water rises another half an inch. so choose your words wisely. whats your name. "

"Katniss Mellark."

"whats your health condition at this time?"

"if my heart rate goes a 10th above the limit i have to rest immediatley or my heart will eventually give out and i'll die..."

"are you going to be in my special hunger games?"

"no." the water rises slightly.

"wrong! is Peeta?"

" i dont know. thats his descision but i dont want him to get hurt." i say. she thinks for a minute.

"acceptable. but just barley. now are you going to be in my hunger games?" she demands, hand on the lever.

"if i do i'll die and i know you'll probably enjoy it." i sneer.

"answer my question!" she shouts.

"fine." i say smirking. trying to make it look like i have some awesome plan to do this even though i'm clueless.  she pulls the lever all the way down. the water rises slowly but its not stoping and soon i'm holding my breath and clinging onto dear life. she presses a button and i'm no longer attached to the pole. i swim up to the surface in a matter of seconds. iclimb out of the pool and lunge at Paylor. she didnt expect it and i end up on top of her.  i pin her arms down with my knees and grab the knife in the corner. i slit her throat open and she dies in a few seconds.

 i cant believe i just did that. i killed Paylor. two Peacekeepers rush in and they looked shocked. but for some reason they start clapping. i was expectign to be shackled and tortured to death for that. the one puts his gun down and helps me up. they show me out of the room and tell me to sit down at a table. the take 2 seats on the other side.

"okay, we're on your side dont worry, i'm Dave." says the one.

"i'm Jason. thank you so much. no one knew it yet but Paylor was evil and planning to kill you and Peeta in those games." he says.

"i figured that out after the meeting..." i admit.

"yes. thats why you were down here. you figured out her plan and she knew you would get around it somehow. but you might have just saved the country from a third set of dark days!" Dave says.

"basically we've been planning this since a little after she started planning those games." Jason says.

"now i have a really important deal for you Katniss..." Dave says slowly and catiously. i nod curiously and raise an eyebrow.

"if you think you can handle it.....we want you and Peeta to be the new co- presidents." Jason says. my jaw drops and my eyes widen. that certainly caught me totally off gaurd. " i mean if you led the country to peace and they all totally trust and follow you, it seems right. you were on the list from the start but you guys were too young when the war ended. please?" he asks.

"well i think i should talk to Peeta first." i admit. he nods and stands up. i follow him and he opens a door. Peeta's still on the floor tied up.

"Katniss!" he stands up and Jason unties him. " i'm confused whats happening?" he asks hugging me.

"well........... something came up...." i say.

"you killed her didnt you...." he knows me so well.

"little bit...." i say kissing him. " but i have to ask you something." i look back and Jason and Dave walk out closing the door. " okay so i was right about Paylor trying to kill us in the games, and i kinda slit her throat.... but then they asked me something. they want us to be the new co-presidents." i blurt out quickly. his eyes widen just like mine did and he picks me up. he spins me around and kisses me.

"are you serious! thats great!" he says.

" like i told you we were always on the list because they trust us and the country always listens and we led to peace through the rebellion and i just ended the second one they think we're the right choice." he smiles and pull me closer to him.

" of course. its perfect. this is amazing!" we kiss for a minute and walk out to tell Jason and  Dave that we agree to it.

"i guess we should go have another victors meeting and discuss everything, and of course cancel the games. but this is awesome, Peeta! we dont have to worry about government anymore! theres going to be peace finally!" i wrap my arms tightly around him and he laughs.

" i guess so. i'll call the confrence right now, none of them have left yet." Jason says walking down the hall. Dave heads the other direction and we head to the confrence room again.

we sit down on the side and not at the head, so it will be a total suprise when we tell them.  they start coming in and we just wait for someone to ask. Jason and Dave come in through the back entrance and stand aside.

finally Johanna asks "wheres Paylor?" she asks. "and what happened to you two." she asks looking at me and Peeta.

"Paylor has been pronnounced dead." Jason says.

"who killed her? or did she just curl up and die?" Haymitch asks.

"Katniss did..." Peeta says. Haymitch rolls his eyes.

" of course ya did sweetheart!" he accuses glaring at me.

"look, we called you all here to introducethe news president." they all exchange curious looks as to who it will be when me and Peeta discreetly stand up and walk over to where Jason and Dave were.

"you two! awesome!" Johanna says.

"i guess it makes sense." Beetee says. they all start clapping. obviously they must be excited.

" looks like the government actually got a clue this time!" Haymitch says. " just dont start another war sweetheart!" he sneers at me.

"hey! i just ended one! the lower district were starting to rebel against Paylor. your welcome Haymitch!" i like making him mad. i laugh and Peeta kisses me. they all congradulate us on the way out. we have to stay the night here so we can make the announcement tomorrow, then we go home for a day or two to pack everything up and come back with the kids to move in. the only problem is the memories. we already had them completely block off and lock the dungeons where they hijacked Peeta.  we agreed those floors would never be used again. we ruled out most violence. the death penalty has been abolished, and the hunger games will never again be held or encouraged.

things will be alot different in Panem. they'll be better.