Five

/N

Hello guys and Merry Christmas! If you celebrate it that is. If not I hope you're enjoying your day anyway. So first of all, I would like to apologize for the slowness of my uploads, I write these and try to upload them the same day. But This last week and a half, I have had a chest infection which has taken a lot out of me because I have asthma which gets worse in the winter any way. Also, I apologize for how short chapter four was. I know it probably sucks but I wanted to get to Evelynn and Declan meeting for the first time. I will also be writing a chapter based around the Christmas season in the next week or so. Watch this space. But here is chapter five!

Five

After spending, pretty much the entire day shopping, Emily and Evelynn returned home. Evelynn helped put the food shopping they had picked up away before slumping in a chair at the table and bit her thumb nail. A trait she had picked up from her mother.

"Leave your thumb alone," Emily said with her head in the freezer

"How did you?"

"You never bite your fingernails first, it's always your thumb because you sucked your thumb as a baby, so that nail was the first one that got chewed,"

Emily closed the freezer door and sat opposite her daughter, who at that moment looked extremely vulnerable. Reaching across the table, Emily placed her hand over Evelynn's.

"Declan will love you," Evelynn looked at her mother astounded, ok this chick clearly had to be physic right? "Evelynn, I'm your mother, you always called when you were nervous before something big, its not hard to read you,"

"I need to work on my Prentiss unreadable face then," Evelynn smiled

"I could read you even then, I won't tell you to stop worrying because you'll keep on doing it, but I will tell you to take one moment to take a breath, a moment of doubt and a moment to believe that this will be ok,"

Evelynn nodded and took a deep breath and allowed herself to relax.

"Better?"

"Yeah," Evelynn smiled

"Good, go take your bags upstairs, he'll be here soon,"

Evelynn got up from her chair and grabbed her bags from the end of the table before walking up the stairs to her room. From her shopping trip, Evelynn had managed to find some love heart shaped fairy lights that she could hang on her bedroom wall above her bed. From an unbranded bag, she pulled out her school uniform, glaring at the gaudy outfit as she hung it in her closet. As a compromise, Emily had allowed Evelynn to get any backpack she wanted. Which Evelynn took great pride in choosing a black and red Harley Quinn diamond patterned one. As well as a messenger bag that had Property of the Joker on the side.

Evelynn might have been girly, but she loved DC comics, Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy were her favourite characters. This little secret about her daughter, Emily found amusing and caught herself smirking. JJ had stated that Evelynn and Henry would have a lot to talk about when it came to comic books. Evelynn had proudly admitted that she had brought her four favourite Suicide Squad comic books with her from England.

Speaking of which, she set her comics on a middle shelf which would be her place for her favourite books. One store they had managed to go to was, Barnes and Noble. Or as Evelynn had put it when she walked in 'Heaven on Earth' She had found her four favourite books while they were browsing. Emily wasn't overly big on the idea of getting fiction books before her school books. So Evelynn reasoned with her mother, that she would pay for her school books with the remainder of her birthday money if Emily allowed her to get just those four. Adding her best puppy dog eyes into the mix, Emily had agreed. So now, The Dead House and The Prophecy of the Sisters Trilogy were sitting proudly on Evelynn's bookshelf.

Evelynn placed her school books in her backpack along with her purse and pencil case, and of course, every teenage girl's go to things, a spare phone charger, gum and make up bag. Being fifteen, Evelynn only really wore black eyeliner and mascara. She owned foundations and powders, but as she preferred to sleep than spend time on doing a full face of makeup in the morning, she reserved the rest of her collection for special occasions.

The front door opening, snapped Evelynn from her thoughts. She tiptoed to the stairs and saw a tall blonde boy embrace her mother. She felt her stomach drop. That was her brother well half brother but still. Evelynn quietly walked into her room and brushed out her hair quickly and gathered herself.

Meanwhile downstairs, Declan had taken off his shoes at the door and followed Emily into the kitchen.

"It's good to see you Emily," he said in his acquired American accent.

"How is your final year playing out?" She asked

"Good, I'm hoping to graduate with honours," He replied sitting down "So, I'm guessing something is either wrong or you have something to tell me, is it about him?"

"It's about him and I yes," Him being Ian. Declan didn't really call him dad because he was so young when he left his father.

"Ok well he isn't alive because I saw him get shot so what is it?" Declan asked

Emily took a moment before looking him in the eye.

"There isn't an easy way to say this but I'm not going to make a song and dance out of it all, when I left your father, I found out I was pregnant," Emily began

"Pregnant? By him?"

"By him, anyway, I decided to keep the baby and go from there. My job was dangerous to bring a child up in, so when I had the baby, I kept her until she was six months old and gave up my rights to some close friends of mine who raised her as their own,"

"I have a little sister?" Emily nodded to the boy "What's her name? How old is she? Where is she now?"

"Her name is Evelynn, she's fifteen and she's here,"

"In America?"

By now Evelynn had plucked up her courage and had walked downstairs, standing in the hall watching her mother talking to Declan.

"She's behind you actually,"

Declan turned his head and stood up. He had the same blue eyes that she did, but had blonde hair unlike hers. Naturally he towered over her, he slowly approached the younger teen.

"Did he ever know?" Declan asked

"No, I never told him, none of them knew," Emily replied

Declan nodded and smiled warmly at Evelynn, making her relax a little.

"Can I hug you?" He asked softly

Evelynn beat him to it and wrapped her arms around his middle. She knew about him and was desperate to meet her big brother. Declan picked her up with ease and held her tight, allowing the tears he didn't realise he was holding back to fall. Emily's own tears fell watching the two siblings embrace. All too soon, Evelynn was placed back on her feet.

"Is she staying?" Declan asked, almost desperate

"She is and she'll be at your school from tomorrow,"

"I'll take care of her, no one's going to mess with her I promise," Declan vowed

A/N

For those curious on how Evelynn is said, it can either be pronounced as Evelynn or Everlynn. In the UK typically we don't spell it with an R. Where I'm from we say it with an R in it and that's how Evelynn in this says her name. It's a name very close to my heart, so I just wanted to let you all know. Even though no one asked.

Also let me know what you think to Evelynn and Declan meeting! I wanted to originally have him angry with Emily but then I preferred this way instead.