Nine

That night after they went to bed, while Evelynn read a copy of Alice in Wonderland, Emily sat in her bed debating whether to call Mick or not.

"Oh come on Emily," Emily pressed on his name and held the phone to her ear.

"Emily Prentiss, to what do I owe this pleasure," Mick smirked down the phone.

"Hello Mick," Emily smiled settling into her bed.

"How are you doing? I haven't heard your voice in too long,"

Emily blushed "It's been a few hours,"

"Exactly!"

"Evelynn heard your messages," Emily admitted

"So she knows, how did that go down?" Mick asked

"Surprisingly well, she wants to meet you, will you still come?"

"You know I will, then we can make this official,"

"These last two months haven't been?" Emily questioned picking a thread on her blankets.

"You know what I mean, anyway, it's late, we should sleep, I'll be there by noon tomorrow," Mick said gently

"Goodnight Mick,"

"Night Em,"

Emily ended their call and set her phone on the nightstand to charge up. She lay down fully in her bed and looked at her ceiling above her.

"Mom," Came a whisper in the dark. "Mom,"

Emily opened her eyes, she must have fallen asleep and saw her daughter standing by her bedside. Crumbles in her arms and tears on her cheeks.

"Honey what's wrong?" Emily leant on her arm slightly raised

"I had a bad dream,"

Emily frowned and pulled the blankets back for Evelynn to climb in with her. After Evelynn was cuddled into her, Emily covered them and wrapped her arm around her.

"It must have been a bad one for you to come and wake me, you want to talk about it?"

"I feel stupid," Evelynn replied burying her face in her mother's neck.

"It's ok to have bad dreams,"

Evelynn nodded and closed her eyes, Emily kissed her head.

"We'll talk in the morning, go back to sleep, you're safe,"

"I love you momma,"

"I love you more,"

Emily was just closing her eyes when;

"Momma?"

"Hmm,"

"Did I do the right thing?"

"What do you mean?"

Evelynn sat up and flicked on the bedside lamp, causing Emily to cover her eyes and sit up. Looking at the clock, she saw that it was 2am.

"Running away from John and Claudia?"

"Honey, you went about it in the wrong way yes but John and Claudia want what's best for you, and if that's here with me or in England with them, they would move the Earth to make it possible for you,"

Evelynn nodded.

"You didn't email them again did you?"

She shook her head

"Evelynn...That was part of the deal, you stay here with me on the understanding that you call or email them every Friday after school," Emily looked at her "You madam have a head like a sieve," Emily pulled her back into bed and turned off the light "As soon as you've had breakfast in the morning, you get on that phone and call them,"