Sixteen

The plane took to the skies and Evelynn watched her mother grow smaller. Clyde walked into the cockpit with the pilot as he often did on the Interpol jet. Evelynn took this opportunity to wrap her arms around her legs and allow her tears to flow.

Her body wracked with sobs, her heart physically hurt in her chest. She couldn't catch her breath. Evelynn lifted her head and tried to breath. She didn't want an asthma attack to start up. She was in enough pain.

Clyde came back a while later and sat with her.

"How are you doing Evelynn?" He asked softly

"I want my mom,"

"I know, this isn't fair but you need to do what the Judge has told you and go back just until you're eighteen and then you can do what you want, just bide your time and then when the time is right you can go back,"

Evelynn hugged her legs tight and closed her eyes.

"If I know Emily and I do, I know she would have tried her best to keep you with her,"

Evelynn nodded "But it doesn't make it any easier,"

"No it doesn't, try to get some sleep,"

Evelynn took out Crumbles from her purse and held her tight as she tried to fall asleep.

All too soon, Clyde woke her as the jet began to land. She put Crumbles away and sat up. The jet landed and Clyde led Evelynn to a waiting car to take her home. She got in and Clyde gave the address to the driver before climbing in with her.

"Don't you trust me to go back on my own?"

"It's not that I don't trust you, I promised your mother I'd see you inside,"

Evelynn nodded as she watched the English scenery go by the window. The car pulled up outside of John and Claudia's house, reluctantly, Evelynn got out. Clyde got her case and they walked to the front door. He rang the bell and the door flew open.

"Evelynn! Welcome home sweetheart," Claudia said happily

Deciding against what Evelynn had wanted to say, she nodded her head.

"Thank you for bringing her home Clyde,"

"It's not a problem, hang in there Evelynn," he said gently before walking to the car.

"Come on, don't be a stranger," Claudia said warmly "I know you're mad at us but you'll understand one day,"

Evelynn stepped inside the home she had spent most of her life. But without Emily, it wouldn't truly be home. Home was where her heart was and her heart was in America with her mother.

"There's my girl," John smiled walking into the hall hugging her "We've missed you darling,"

"Everything is how you left it in your room,"

"I still have a room?" Evelynn asked

"Of course you do! You will always have a room with us, you're our daughter Evelynn," John replied "Come on, let's get you settled and you can have a sleep before you meet Sammy,"

John and Claudia led Evelynn to her room where she put her bags down, it was how she left it. Just without her water glass. She looked around and tears fell.

John saw this and nodded to Claudia to get her to leave the room. She somehow managed to make Evelynn worse. John wrapped his arms around her.

"Let it out sweetheart,"

"I just want my mum," she buried her head in John's chest.

I know what's going through your head, why doesn't she call John and Claudia mum and dad? For as long as Evelynn could remember, John and Claudia had let her decide what to call them, but they also wanted her to remember that Emily was also her mother.

John cradled her close as she cried, she had always calmed better with John rather than Claudia and soon enough her sobs faded and she wiped her eyes.

"There now, feel better?"

She nodded

"Now I know what's running through your head and you're wrong, you can still call Emily, we won't force you to stop talking to her, your mother is our friend, we couldn't do that to her,"

"So you take your friend's daughter away? Yes that makes perfect sense," Evelynn glared at him

"Evelynn it wasn't on our ruling, the judge decided you were to come back, don't you think we would have allowed you to stay with Emily?"

"No! Because you two adopted Sammy and wanted me to come back so we could all play happy family! I was happy with my mother and you all ruined it!"

John kissed her head and got up, he left her room and she curled up on her bed. Finally they knew how she felt. Evelynn's eyes got heavy and she quickly fell asleep.