Chapter Eight: A Nightmare

A Nightmare

After a quick shower and a look in theempty fridge, you lie down in your warm bed and put out the light.You felt exhausted for the first time in a long time but you weresatisfied. The painting was really a good idea. The others alsoseemed to enjoy it.

Maybe you'll manage to persuade Optimusto relax a bit tomorrow.

As for Ratchet, you had no hope. Thestubborn Medic would not change his mind .

Again your thoughts wandered back tothe uncomfortable car ride. You still didn't realize why thingsweren't the same between you. It had never been a problem for you tospeak openly. In retrospect, Optimus had been the only one with whomyou could speak openly.

He had always been a little moredistant. Maybe you just were the ones who acted differently now.

But it was so strange for you.

He knew so much about you. It had beenso many years since you turned 12. There had not been a day he wasn'tthere.

At first it was strange. Sure he couldonly hear you when you talked or when others talked to you, it wasnot like he could read your mind. At least... you thought so. But hestill heard so much back then. And your privacy? It took some time toget used to the fact that you were never really alone. It had been soannoying. Because the bots apparently had more conversations a daythan you did when you were in school. Concentrating in the classroomhad been hard when you couldn't talk to him. At the time, it alsoseemed like you were going to live up to your reputation as a freakwith your soliloquy.

Your stomach cramped at the thought ofyour school days.

It all started when you told your bestfriend about it and they...

You tried to suppress the rage insideyou by rolling over to the other side of the bed.

At least it didn't take long forOptimus to become part of your life. It had become normal for you toalways have someone by your side. Even though he did not understandmany of your problems, he always had an open ear for you.

And you? Well, at first you were tooyoung to help him too. You could well imagine that you had been justanother problem for him.

With a sigh you shut your eyes.

'Or still are one.'

Over time, however, you were no longerinterested only in superficialities but in his inner conflicts.Unfortunately, you rarely got him to tell you anything more.

But enough to know that he was notalways the strong leader he pretended to be. And that he never wantedto be a Prime.

You noticed how your thoughts driftedaway as your eyelids got heavier and heavier.