Chapter 6

When Kirishima’s alarm went off the next morning, he felt an overwhelming sense of dread accompany the noise.

He knew he had fucked up, he had been so close to ruining everything he had built with Bakugou, all because his stupidly hormonal teenage brain couldn’t keep itself under control.

But now he was faced with a new issue.

Bakugou had been meeting up with him every morning to go for a run.

Would he even turn up today?

Groaning, Kirishima swallowed the hard lump that was forming in his throat, and forced himself out of bed, pulling on his usual workout gear. Before he left, he found himself simply staring in the mirror.

He had never really struggled with lack of sleep, he sleep like a rock most of the time, but last night he had woken up multiple times, tears streaming down his face, his breath coming out in short desperate pants, and Bakugou’s name on his lips.

These nightmares had taken their toll, dark shadows hanging heavy under his bloodshot eyes, his cheeks puffy and red.

He knew he had fucked up, but this was the only way to find out how bad.

If Bakugou wasn’t waiting in the hallway like he usually was, Kirishima might just have to ask Midnight to put him to sleep, and keep him like that until Bakugou himself requests him to be woken up.

Sighing and yanking his hair back into his hair tie, he walked to his door, swung it open, and…

Nothing.

No one was in sight.

Kirishima felt tears immediately prickling his eyes, and he acted out, turning and slamming his fist hard into his door, punching a hole straight through it. When he pulled his fist back, knuckles aching in protest since he hadn’t hardened his skin, he was greeted by the only voice he could stand to hear right now.

“What the fuck?!”

Kirishima turned, his eyes landing on Bakugou.

The latter was in his workout gear, dark bags under his eyes, hair an absolute mess, as his eyes flickered back and forth between the hole in the wall, to his friends guilty expression.

Kirishima had never seen anything more beautiful in his life.

“I guess I- Ahh… jumped the gun a bit on that one.” He chuckled awkwardly, looking back at the damage on his door before pushing his fingers into his hair and grinning at Bakugou.

“Tch. Whatever. Let’s go.” Bakugou muttered, jerking his chin towards the stairs.

Kirishima smiled hugely and pranced after him, a newfound spring in his step.

Bakugou didn’t hate him…

Kirishima’s grin grew wider.

He didn’t hate him, he didn’t hate him, he didn’t hate him!

~~~

Their run went as it always did.

Kirishima pushing himself the hardest he could, Bakugou always a few steps ahead of him. Kirishima was unable to keep his eyes off of the sleek muscles rolling under Bakugou’s skin with every step, watching his chest rise and fall with each steady breath.

It was like watching a wild fire. Everything about the other boy screamed danger. Every nerve ending in Kirishima’s body ached for him to run the other way, his common sense telling him that this person in front of him could bring about his end so quickly, yet so torturingly slow if he wished. Yet, like a wild fire, he was unspeakably beautiful, and Kirishima craved inching that little bit closer, not caring if he were to get burnt.

When they finally reached the ending point, both panting heavily and sweating profusely, Bakugou finally snapped. He whirled around, slamming his hands into Kirishima’s chest and pushing him back against a tree.

Somewhere in his brain, Kirishima noted that this was the same tree he had been against that first morning that they had run together.

The rest of his brain, however, was focused on the boy in front of him.

“Explain.” Bakugou snapped, his eyes drilling holes into Kirishima’s own. Bakugou’s fingers tightened into a bruising grip against Kirishima’s shoulders, and his lips tightened into a hard line.

Kirishima went slack, staring down at the grass.

So this was it.

When he didn’t respond, Bakugou let out an exasperated hiss and let go, turning on his heel and stomping a few steps back towards the dorms, before apparently changing his mind and turning again. His fists were clenched tightly beside his body, smoke streaming up from between his fingers.

“Stop fuckin toying with me Kirishima.”

Kirishima’s eyes snapped up at the sound of Bakugou using his name, and immediately froze. Bakugou looked so....

Lonely.

His head was hung, pale blonde fringe falling over his eyes, with his lower lip between his teeth, biting down hard. He was quivering visibly, and his shoulders were hunched up defensively.

Kirishima moved before he could stop to think, darting forward and wrapping his arms around the boy in front of him. He pulled him tight against his chest, and buried his face in the crook of his neck.

“I’m so sorry... I shouldn’t have run away... I should have explained myself…” Kirishima whispered, feeling his own body start to shake as Bakugou slowly lifted his arms and curled them around Kirishima’s waist, fingers tightening in the hem of his shirt.

“Finish the fuckin job then.” Bakugou whispered, his words hard and determined, but his voice failing to match them.

It took Kirishima a moment to understood what he meant. Did Bakugou want him to properly explain himself? Isn’t it obvious how he feels now? Or…

Kirishima pulled back, and Bakugou met his gaze. Bakugou’s eyes were hard, as passionate and fiery as they always are, his jaw set stubbornly.

But this was Bakugou.

Kirishima knew him.

He knew what Bakugou was asking of him.

So without allowing himself any more time to talk himself out of it, Kirishima swooped in, pressing his lips against his, the warm heat immediately welcoming his advance. Bakugou let out a shuddering breath, then moved, titling his head slightly and pressing back, arms tightening around Kirishima’s waist.

They didn’t deepen the kiss. It was unbearably sweet and delicate, both of them new to the feeling and very inexperienced, so they just pecked at each other, lips moving in unison, gentle sighs coming from their lips every now and then.

Kirishima was the first to pull back, only far enough to press his forehead against Bakugou’s. He could feel an enormous toothy grin spread across his face, and he felt his heart trying to beat its way out of his chest when Bakugou’s lips curled into a small smile of its own, the corners of his mouth going up before pulling away from Kirishima completely, walking up towards the dorms again.

This time he paused, glancing back at Kirishima.

“C’mon. I’m fuckin starving.”

Kirishima chuckled, before running forward and throwing an arm around Bakugou’s shoulders, the latter placing a tentative hand on Kirishima’s lower back as they walked together.