3. Poison

When I was a little girl, my father used to read many kinds of English literature. One time, I remember him quoting Shakespeare:

‘If you prick us do we not bleed?

If you tickle us do we not laugh?

If you poison us do we not die?

And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?’

Back then, all I knew was how soothing it was to hear him read. But now that I’m not a child anymore, those words began to hold a deeper meaning–that every choice we make always bear consequences.

***

After what felt like an endless journey, one that occasionally interrupted by bandits and a small band of orcs, David and I finally made our way to Rhudaur. We both did our best to blend in with the locals–that at least until David’s informant in Bree spotted an old, tall man dressed in grey crossing the town and made a stop at the local tavern there–The Prancing Pony.

Despite knowing how smart and resourceful David was and the fact that he’d eventually put all the pieces together, I did my best to keep him in the dark. I steered us to avoid the places that I remembered where Aragorn and the hobbits would face an impossible army–the Ring Wraiths. There was no use in risking our lives for it.

Today, I made David travel with me near the border of Rivendell, hoping to 'accidentally' stumble upon the ranger and the hobbits in a safe situation. 

“Keep your eyes out,” I mumbled as we walked around, my hood was down to cover most of my face.

David sent a glance at me, no doubt starting to look annoyed. “It would be great to know what we’re looking for,” he grumbled.

I didn’t answer him and let silence wrapped around us like a blanket, keeping my eyes focus to hear anything or see anything that might look like hobbits or a certain ranger.

“Look. Back in Edoras, I’ve met a lot of ladies. Even the shield maiden herself,” he suddenly broke the silence, looking cocky as hell as he recounted his story. I saw him through my peripheral vision and noticed the grin that now attached across his stubbled cheek, “...the ladies, they all want the same thing. The want attention. They want someone to show them how appreciated they are,” he sang, then turned to taunt me, “All except you. I can’t figure you out. Like now.”

I tilted my head up so I could deliver a smug look to him from under my hood, to which he shook his head in light amusement. “Settle down, playboy,” I muttered.

Ever since I told David what playboy meant, he never failed to look somewhat pleased with himself. Probably praising himself for the fact that he could charm many women easily with his good looks. It was a bummer for me since I meant the word ‘playboy’ as an insult.

A faint sound of horse whinnies from afar froze us both. We exchanged an alarmed look before I looked around and spotted a bush, enough to conceal us both.

“Hide!”

We both ducked behind a thick bush and waited until the sound of horse hooves came near. The moment we saw the rider making their way towards the elven city’s border, I could see David’s mouth hung open in awe.

“Is that…?”

“Sssshh!”

“–I’ve never seen someone so beautiful–“

I ignored the mini infatuation moment that David had, though I understood his amazement. As far as I knew all elves were meant to be beautiful–but this particular elleth, Arwen, she was beyond all of them.