22. Properly

[Author's Note: The link is the fight scene that inspired Sara's fight in the Golden Hall of Meduseld. Let me know what you think! Happy Reading]

***

For the righteous, the revelation is a joyous event, the realization of a divine truth. But for the wicked, revelations can be far more terrifying, when dark secrets are exposed and sinners are punished for their trespasses.

***

[ANASTASIA/SARA POV]

“You’ll find more cheer in a graveyard.”

Gimli was right.

Edoras was by far, the weirdest, gloomiest looking civilization I’ve ever seen with my own eyes. The people were silent. They all wore the same gloomy expression like the majority of color they wore on their clothes. You’d think someone just died.

The villagers shot at us with an equal look of curiosity and mistrust as a wizard, an elf, a dwarf, two men and a woman strode into their village.

Before us, high on top of a hill, stood the Golden Hall of Meduseld where Theoden, King of Rohan dwelled.

“I swear to you, master dwarf,” said David, “This was not the Edoras that I left behind. It used to be a city that was full of life, not…” he trailed, looking pained as he glanced around the kingdom he used to serve. “Not this.”

“Certainly with the king’s mind being poisoned, the whole kingdom suffers,” I guessed.

David let out a heavy sigh, nodding in reluctant agreement.

We climbed up the stairs that led to the entrance of the king’s hall. From each side of the entrance stood green banners with a stallion insignia on it as Rohan’s emblem. I imagined the banners used to be something great to behold, but now, the banners laid limply on their posts, washed out in color and a little torn on its rim.

Suddenly a bunch of armed guards with Rohan insignia on their chest plates came out of the hall, forming a blockade that stopped us from entering.

“I cannot allow you before Theoden King so armed, Gandalf Greyhame,” said a soldier grimly who stood in the middle of the guards. He appeared to be their leader. “By order of Grima Wormtongue.”

David stepped forward, and the soldier’s eyes lit up in recognition.

“Brother.”

“David!” he exclaimed with surprise. His eyes filled with questions, then wariness.

“Asvard,” greeted David solemnly with a nod. “These are my travelling companions,” he explained. “You know me, and I can speak for all of them they mean no harm to our king. We only wish for an audience.”

Asvard shook his head.

“I know of you, David, after all we fought in battles together like brothers. Nevertheless I cannot let you and your weapons entered.”

“Asvard, you can have my word that these are the friends of Theoden King. We do not intend–“

“Your word matters not, brother. For these days, the word of Grima Wormtongue is equal to the word of the king himself,” he cut him with a troubled eyes. “Forgive me. Your companions must give up their weapons before entering.”

David was about to speak again, but Gandalf put a hand on David’s shoulder and nodded at him. David yielded and backed away. Gandalf looked at the rest of us and we reluctantly began to disarm ourselves.

Legolas took his dual swords from his back and flipped it in his hands with poise swank before surrendering them to the guards before him, along with his bow and quiver of arrows. He clearly didn’t appreciate having his weapons taken away from him. Gimli had this wistful look on his eyes as he part with his axe. Aragorn and David both gave away their broadswords. Aragorn pulled out his knife and handed it over while David handed over all of his daggers.