36. Redemption

[Author's Note: So I decided that from now on I'm going to put link to music that helps me into mood as I write every chapter. Feel free to listen to them as you read on. Let me know what you think! Happy Reading]

***

Destiny. To believe that a life is meant for a single purpose, one must also believe in a common fate. Father to daughter, brother to sister, mother to child. Blood ties can be as unyielding as they are eternal. But it is our bonds of choice that truly light the road we travel. Love versus hatred. Loyalty against betrayal. A person's true destiny can only be revealed at the end of his journey, and the story I have to tell is far from over.

***

[ANASTASIA'S POV]

Why am I staring at the butts of two armored soldiers?

This question seemed to linger on my mind for a long time. But even as the moment passed, I didn't move. Neither were the guards in front of me.

I found myself kneeling, at the center of a beautiful stone courtyard. I could hear the sound of the wind blowing softly against my face and hair, the sound of the rustles of the leaves-

Hang on. These weren't leaves. They're petals. Beautiful white petals coming off from the most beautiful tree behind me. I could smell the fragrance of the flowers in the crisp, fresh air, which was as weird as it sound, it was the freshest, cleanest air I have ever breathed.

The sky was clear, and again, I've never seen the sky so blue. The sun shone brightly, it's golden ray fell on my face gently, warm despite the slight chill of the air. It was a beautiful day, a picture perfect day.

For a reason I didn't understand, I felt happy. I was at perfect peace. Of course, there was no reason for me to feel not at peace, but somehow I just felt that this... it had been a while since I felt this way. Since I had such a good day.

The guards before me still didn't move. If I were a prisoner, there was no way they would just leave me unbound. What crime could I possibly do anyway?

At the moment, all I could think about is how weird was the position that I was in right now. Staring at the guards' backside was not a very polite thing to do either. So I decided to slowly, carefully sneak away from them, not making any sound.

And I did flawlessly.

Keeping my eyes at the guards, I crept backwards, and when I was sure that they didn't see or hear me, I hastened my feet and found the nearest gate to try to get out of this huge castle. I had to walk long and far blindly trying to find an exit. The exit, which unmistakably was that huge double door gate with an incredible medieval style about it was guarded by two soldiers. Then another two soldiers posted above at the watchman post. They were all looking at me, and for a moment I was worried, but their eyes were relaxed, though still alert. I sent them a smile and one of the guards at the gate smiled sheepishly and quickly opened the gate for me, his cheek dusted lightly with pink.

I held back the urge to giggle and thanked them before exiting the gate, finding a beautiful city made of white stones bustling with life.

My heart caught in my throat.

As crazy as it sounds, I almost cried back then. Of happiness. I had no idea why.

I watched in awe as people walked around, either taking strolls or simply doing their business. Mothers taking their children to the market. Young women trying out clothes that the people sell on their small, tiny shops. Florists, seamstress shops, fruits and vegetables shops, bakery, jewelry, apothecary shops... You name it, they had it.