24. Intoxication

The best love is the kind that awakens the soul; that makes us reach for more, that plants the fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds. That’s what I hope to give you forever.

I saw that you were perfect, and so I loved you. Then I saw that you were not perfect and I loved you even more. I would rather spend one lifetime with you, than face all the ages of this world alone.

***

“So what exactly is going to happen during this journey?” asked David, his posture relaxed as he let me ride on top of Haskell, while he held the rein of the rein of the brunette stallion.

“Why do you assume there will be something happening?” I mumbled to him nonchalantly.

“Because yesterday you presented yourself before the King and suggested a change in our traveling formation. It clearly suggests we’re going to be under attack soon enough.”

“Sometimes I think you’re too smart for your own good,” I mumbled, knowing that this kind of conversation with David was inevitable. “You know well that it is not a good thing to meddle with fate.”

“You’re one to speak,” he replied sassily. I glared at him, and he flashed me that annoying smile of his. “Come on, Sara. Give me a hint here.”

“And why should I do that?”

“Because if an ambush is what we’re expecting, at least then I am prepared to try to keep us safe,” he replied in a more serious tone. “You might know everyone else’s fate, but you don’t know yours, you don’t know mine.”

I looked at him as a knot began to form in my stomach. I strained, trying not to let emotion showed too much on my expression.

“For all I know this journey has turned into something more dangerous, less secretive than we originally intended,” he told me. “With every battle, the chance of us being separated always gets doubled. Why not use your knowledge to our advantage?” he demanded.

“Meddling to much with it can mess the timeline–“

“Or results in a better outcome,” cut David.

“The stake is too high,” I insisted. “This is bigger than any of us, David. And I already meddled with fate more than I’m supposed to be. You know that.”

“I know,” he said through gritted teeth, his jaw clenched in frustration. “I just can’t help feeling annoyed knowing that you have the knowledge that could possibly keep you from danger yet you march right to it head on,” he hissed the latter part with an impatient gesture with his hand.

I glanced at David, noticing his stature had tensed, his expression hard and was genuinely upset.

“You knew I couldn’t tell you things and you understood that. But why are you so upset over this? Why now?”

“Because I feel that we’re growing apart.”

I frowned. I sent him a questioning look.

“I don’t follow,” I mumbled. “David… What’s wrong?” I asked softly, realizing the trouble and worry in his dusky blue eyes. He kept his hard expression forward, refusing to answer me.

I stopped the horse and dismounted it to walk next to him. I looked up at him, feeling worried. He seldom looked this upset before. One thing I knew well about David was that he wasn’t a scaredy cat. He was brave, if anything sometimes too eager to face danger.

This time it was different. He was more frustrated and anxious. Something must had triggered whatever was in his mind right now.

“Hey,” I placed a hand on his shoulder, stopping him. “David. Tell me. What troubles you?”