15. Innervation

Love is like a child that longs for everything it can come by. The only problem is that, as we grow up, we are being told that nothing is free. There is always a price for everything, and love is never easy.

***

I walked quietly towards the pavilion, where the sound of the men snoring filled my ears. Gimli's snoring, above everything else was the loudest I could hear.

Coming closer, I noticed that everyone had fallen asleep-all of them. Even Legolas who required sleep less than the others had also slipped into his trance like state, sitting cross-legged with a perfect posture, his icy blue eyes glazed and looking forward emptily.

I remember the first time I was watching him sleep, I freaked out, thinking that he was dead or having an elf stroke or something. Back then in Moria, I approached him and woke him up, feeling somewhat relieved that he returned to his normal self, in which he chuckled lightly at my paranoia.

He told me that elves rested their minds and their bodies in a different way than mortals do. Elves rarely closes their eyes when they sleep except when they were badly injured or extremely exhausted.

I took a seat on the ground, pulling my knees to my chest as I curled and lie my head on the tree near my companions' pavilion. I watched them sleeping, wondering how I could feel this way.

Being whisked away to my own talan made me miss them, every single one of them. The dead quietness in my talan disturbed my sleep, but now, hearing Gimli and Sam unconsciously did a snoring competition, made me somehow felt relaxed.

I chuckled softly, but quickly covered my mouth, careful not to wake them. My eyes then rested upon Legolas who strategically placed himself in front of the pavilion, not on the inside. He sat on the ground in his meditative position. Like a statue, silently guarding the Fellowship.

I couldn't help but adore him. He was endowed with tremendous vitality of Elvish bodies, so hard and resistant to hurt that he went only in light shoes over rock or through the snow. During the journey, he was the most restless one, the least tireless of all the Fellowship. He was the protector of the Fellowship.

"How long do you plan on just staring at me, mellon nin (my friend)?"

I was startled when he suddenly spoke and turned his head towards my direction. I suddenly felt very silly, and I couldn't help the sheepish smile that crept up to my face.

"I thought you were sleeping," I said apologetically.

"Aye, I did," he answered with a kind, serene smile. Legolas got up and walked towards me. He sat himself next to the tree that I leaned against and looked at me. "I have nothing to do, so I slipped into a light sleep. I was awake the moment I heard you creeping in."

I chuckled softly and shrugged.

"I was trying not to wake any of you," I confessed.

"Do not blame yourself. Not many people can sneak up on me. Even elves," he said in a rather smug look on his face. I shook my head, causing the fair elf before me to chuckle lightly.

Comfortable silence descended upon us while we silently rested our eyes on the pavilion where the rest of our friends slept soundly.

"Have you been having trouble sleeping, Sara?" he asked, breaking the silence. I nodded slowly.

"After months being together, sleeping on the ground with all of you feels more natural now than sleeping on a bed in silence," I admitted. "I like listening to Gimli snoring, believe it or not," I added with a smile.