Kate Johnson

Kate Johnson was savagely murdered at her college campus in the year of 2001. She was a devout Christian and loved God. In her journal, she signed off every day with a cross inside a heart. Kate Johnson is an inspiration, and here I will explain why.

"Kate Johnson was sexually assaulted and murdered in her own dorm room by her acquaintance Deniz Aydiner, The Wonderland Murders examines this tragic and brutal case.

May 29, 2001, and Kate was found by friends dead in her dorm room, she'd been sexually assaulted and strangled. Kate had only just moved into the room to act as a hall monitor over the summer and had hoped to teach music at high school.

Detectives began gathering DNA from anyone who might have come into contact with Kate and one of those people was Turkish citizen Deniz Aydiner. However, but the time they matched his DNA to a sample from the murder scene, Aydiner had moved back to Turkey, his visa expired.

Aydiner made a plea deal in 2006, where he pled guilty to aggravated murder, attempted rape,  and numerous count of burglary.

The 32-year-old was sentenced to life in prison with parole only possible after a minimum of 37 years. The sentence also stipulated that if he was ever paroled then Aydiner would be deported to Turkey on release.

In 2009 Aydiner tried to appeal his sentence, claiming that Portland police were in violation the extradition treaty between the U.S. and Turkey, as they'd used trickery to lure him to Portland.

He'd left for Turkey after the murder but wanted to return so that he could be with his wife. Various law enforcement agencies in the U.S. did everything they could to make sure he got the correct paperwork to return, arresting him as soon as he arrived.

The appeal was rejected and his sentence upheld.

It is believed Kate and her killer had an argument at a bar, which Kate and her friends were at together. The killer was yelling at his wife, for supposedly dropping a glass, and Kate walked over and said he couldn't treat his wife that way. The killer said it was normal for him.

Kate was murdered and assaulted for speaking up for a complete stranger.

Her killer got a key to her room and raped and killed her there. Detectives spent three years trying to find the killer, and found handcuffs in the man's home, as well as jewelry.

Kate dreamed of teaching music. In her journal no one knew about, she wrote of a French exchange student she liked, and of God. "Tonight my thoughts are with others," she wrote one night.

Her mom kept her journal.

Sources:

The Wonderland Murders: Everybody's Daughter

Catholic Sentinel

Monsters and Critics