Keeping Secrets

The loud buzz of her cellphone scared her half to death as the screen lit up in the dark room. Violet reached out from her bed to grab her phone before it fell off of the bedside table. She was still adjusting to the new house their family had been allowed to live in. She read Tony's name in tiny letters.

Tony. The boy she had been so hopefully fallen for and pretty sure he'd fallen for her as well. As her vision corrected she read out the text he had just sent her.

"Hey Vi, are your parents still cool with me coming to your house for dinner tomorrow?"

Her heart suddenly stopped. She had completely forgotten that her Dad just so happened to invite her boyfriend to dinner at her house without her consent earlier. Great.

"Yeah, you can come by around 6:00pm. Just text me ahead of time."

She intended to meet Tony at the door before Dash or her parents could make an embarrassing scene of her first boyfriend coming to dinner. Or even worse, if Tony discovered that she was from a family of supers with powers.

"Ok, Vi. See you tomorrow ;)"

"See you."

She placed the phone back onto the side table and laid thinking about how disastrous the dinner could potentially go.

At school, she was still trying to introduce herself to the new Tony Rydinger. A part of her wishes that Dicker never erased his memory especially because things had gone so smoothly since she felt more confident with her powers. Being pissed off didn't seem to help the situation much, and reinventing confidence then revealing to Tony her true self appeared to be the best approach.

In the halls of school, she giggled at his jokes as she clutched her books tightly, resisting the urge to reach out and hold his hand. Although confidence was a relatively a new concept to her, she still felt that shy girl beneath who hid from everything.

"So, Violet," Tony paused in the hallway.

Every time he looked at her she couldn't help but feel butterflies in her stomach.

"Yeah Tony?"

"About tonight, um my mom said she would have to drop me off around 5:00 if that's okay with you. Sorry for the inconvenience, I told her it was too early, but she argued it was either I go early, or that I would not be able to go at all..." He trailed off.

"Yeah that's-" she hesitated. Oh wait, he'll be there before Dash returns from sports, Jack-Jack returns from the baby sitter, and before mom and dad get home. Perfect timing.

He looked at her with his head tilted, waiting for her to finish her sentence.

"Great! Yeah um just let me know when you arrive and so we can uh- tour the house and stuff." She suggested a little too quickly. Maybe it was the nerves or the fact that 3 hours of sleep plus a cup of coffee didn't help her keep her cool.

"Awesome, alright I'll see you after 7th period." Tony nodded and walked into the nearby English classroom.

She felt a jolt of excitement as she watched him walk away.

Tony. Tony Rydinger would be coming to her house. And she would be alone with him for a solid hour before everyone got home.

At 4:30, the bus dropped arrived at her house. She walked along the long driveway to the glass windows and fiddled with the house key. There were so many similar keys she needed to keep. One for the garage, one for the back door, one for the shed, one for emergency, and one for the actual front door. After finding the correct key she unlocked the large door and rushed up the stairs to the bathroom.