Sick on Valentine's Day

Summary: Violet catches a bad cold on the day that her and Tony are supposed to go on a date, but Tony has other plans instead

Of course out of all the days of the year, Valentine's day was the perfect day to come down with the world's nastiest cold. Earlier in the week Violet complained to her mother about a sore throat and pounding headache. She avoided Dash for an entire two weeks to prevent from catching his cold which she then learned was inevitable because her younger brother never covered his mouth when he coughed. In her classes, she avoided kids with the slightest cough or sniffle like the plague in hopes that the bacteria would not aimlessly be spread throughout the crowded halls of her school. As inevitable as she thought it would be to catch a cold on the day she didn't want to be sick, on precisely February 14th, the thermometer read 102° and her throbbing head kept her in bed all day.

That afternoon her and Tony had planned a movie and dinner date, along with cuddling at his place. Guilt instantly washed over as she hesitated to pick up the phone to call her boyfriend and cancel their long awaited special day. As she was getting ready to pick up the phone, her mother walked into her room.

"Hey Vi, how are you feeling?" her mother asked and sat on the edge of her bed.

Violet sunk into her pillows, clutching the buzzing phone in her cold hands. "Horrible. This entire day is ruined..." she tossed the device next to her and folded her arms.

"It's not over yet sweetie. I know you had plans with Tony, but I think he'll understand your situation," Helen reassured.

Violet closed her puffy eyelids and sniffled. "But we were supposed to go on a date. On Valentine's Day. Supposedly the most romantic day of the year..." she muffled and crossed her arms.

"I think it's best you stay in bed for now and catch up on some sleep. Call Tony and let him know, but I don't want you leaving this house today."

She turned her face into the pillow and let out a sigh. Now she had to cancel her date. Wonderful.

Picking up the phone once more she dialed Tony's number. The phone rang once and he instantly picked up.

"Hello?" Tony said.

"Hi Tony," she said sadly, sounding congested from her stuffed nose.

"Hey Vi, are you alright? You don't sound very good."

She coughed. "I'm not too well today...On all days I came down with the world's worst cold and now have to officially cancel our date tonight."

He remained silent for a few seconds. "Oh, that's too bad. Sorry babe. Hey, I gotta head to class, I'll call you later?" he questioned.

Her heart sunk. Tony sounded distracted or worse, he didn't care about their date in the first place.

"Okay," she breathed and hung up the phone.

Tears were uncontrollably spilling from her eyes and onto her bed spread. He seemed so busy. Violet spent the rest of the day under the covers, half sneezing and half coughing waiting for another call from Tony or somehow a magic cure to her sickness. Although she didn't mind not attending school that day, the one thing that bothered her most was the strange tone in Tony's voice during their phone call. Typically, if this situation happened she would address it at school and ask him if there was anything wrong with him. This time around, being bed bound only worsened the circumstances.

Instead of sulking for longer, at 2pm she went downstairs despite her pounding temples and walked over to the living room couch. Everyone was out of the house either at school or work and the quietness settled in around her. Grabbing the remote for the tv, she saw a figure outside of the window. In high alert, she turned invisible and crept over by the front door. She peeked into the eye hole and before she could see who was standing at the door, the loud bell rang sending her sailing to the floor. She quickly recovered and flung open the door.

Standing there with a bouquet of red roses, chocolates in the other hand, and apologetic face was Tony Rydinger.

Confused and pleased, Violet launched herself into Tony's arms, causing him to drop the chocolates and flowers.

"Tony I was so worried that something was wrong," Violet half cried.

"Vi, I'm sorry that I mislead you over the phone. I called your mom to ask where you were and she said you were sick, so I wanted to bring Valentine's Day to you instead," he patted her back gently.

He bent over to pick up the chocolates and flowers and handed them both to Violet. She appeared surprised since they didn't give each other gifts often- or at all for that matter.

"I know it's not the movie and dinner date I promised you, but I hope this can make do for now. When you're feeling better, we can go," he scratched the back of his head.

"Tony, I don't know what to say-" She then leaned in to plant a soft his on his lips. "Thank you for making this day a thousand times better than it was turning out to be."

-

The rest of the afternoon was spent watching cheesy romantic comedy films, eating popcorn by the bag full, and lots and lots of cuddling. She warned him that her cold was contagious and that he most likely will walk away with her cold, but he didn't seem to mind that much. As long as he spent the rest of the holiday with his girlfriend, things didn't matter.