Defensive

Summary: Tony's ex Cory approaches him at school and Tony dislikes what she says about Violet

A/N: Cory is actually a girl from the concept art for Violet's classmates! In the art, Cory is illustrated as a preppy cheerleader so I thought that would be perfect for this story!

WOO HOO thanks for making this story collection #1 for the Incredibles hashtag :D

"You like her?!"

Tony stood at his locker baffled at such a comment. Him and Cory had been close throughout the years and dated off and on throughout middle school, but he could never get himself to fully trust the popular cheerleader who constantly sought out attention from everybody. Sure, she was financially well off much like him, they both were high up in the social rankings at school, constantly got paired together, and everybody thought they were going to practically marry each other. Things were just difficult especially when Cory's short tempter put extreme stress on Tony and her high maintenance self was too much for anyone.

"Cory, I'm sorry. I don't feel like discussing this with you right now," he tried to move out of her way.

"Uh uh I don't think so Rydinger, so what's so special about this girl huh?" she put her hands square on her hips and stood in front of his way.

He watched as a few of the kids in the hallway whispered and glanced their way.

"Her name is Violet. I gotta go to class."

"Oh I know her. Tony, she's a freak. She wears baggy clothes, hides behind her hair, doesn't talk at all, and is downright weird. Besides, it's not like you two are close anyway," she scoffed at him, smacking her bright pink bubble gum.

He sighed and walked closer up to Cory, her face softened a little as if he were going to kiss her.

"She's changed, and she's my girlfriend Cory. I know her better than anyone else at this school." His eyebrows furrow and he found himself clenching his fists a little. He never showed temper because he saw how it didn't get people where they wanted to go, except for this one time.

The response sent Cory off, she yelled a little louder than expected but Tony continued to walk away briskly in order not to be sent to the principal's office for disturbing the other students. Girls would often do anything to catch his attention although he disliked almost every single girl at Western Junior High. At one point him and Cory were close, and he did like her until she started acting too mysterious and un-genuine because of instant popularity. She was nothing like Violet.

He arrived 15 minutes late to history and immediately sat next to Violet. Resting his head on his hands, he picked at the wooden flakes coming off from the desk. Violet could tell something was bothering Tony by the way he stayed so quiet.

"Hey," Violet softly spoke, putting one hand on his lower arm.

Tony didn't move but quickly made eye contact with her.

"We can talk about it later," she smiled and flipped open her text book.

-

At Tony's house they laid with their textbooks spread out and took turns practicing answering math questions back and forth. They both were unamused but knew the final coming up in two weeks would be killer.

"Alright last one," Violet drew out a dramatic exhale.

"What is the square root of 144?" she propped the card in front of Tony's face, hoping he would give a little more enthusiasm than she did.

"Oh it's uh 12."

Violet nodded then tossed the last card onto the mass deck of all the other flash cards. Two hours was enough math on top of the five other tasks they had due for tomorrow. She laid down on one of his pillows and squished it between her arms.

"Are you going to tell me why you're so down today?" she questioned, trying to catch his eyes.

He stared down at the sheets and fumbled with the calculator. "My ex approached me today," he blurted out. Violet sat up straight, squishing the pillow a little harder.

"And she said some not so nice things and I got angry and she just offended me. I couldn't handle but raise my voice and storm off..."

She sat in silence thinking of what to say. Comforting Tony was sometimes a challenge due to his hard to read emotions and inexpressible facial features when he was upset. Learning to read emotions and comfort others was a new hurdle in their relationship.

"She said stuff about you that made me furious. She said things like how you wore baggy clothes and how you were quiet. But Violet, I like that girl because she's you. I like you now- I've liked you this entire time, but she made it seem like just because you were different from the rest of the girls at school, that it made you lesser of a person, but it just doesn't." he breathed from the ramble of words.

"Violet, I love you."

The spew of words made it hard to follow, but she managed to catch the gist of what he was saying. Tony Rydinger was not an angry person, but the one topic to make him upset was anything involving insulting Violet, supers, or her family.

She sat and rubbed a tear from her left eye.

"You stood up for me?" she scooted closer to him where he embraced her in a long hug.

"Of course I did."