Darling.

-Alex POV-

Father? Where are you going? The words of a ten year old boy- Ignored. Momma? Please don't leave me! The pleas of a twelve year old- Forgotten. Help! Please! Anybody! Help me! The cries of a fourteen year old- Lost.

Not many people get to say that they remember how they die. Well, I do.

It was 1776, I was on my way to America to join the war. I've been wanting one to join; I knew it was the only way to rise up. So the people of Nevis all pitched in to help me get there.

Unfortunately, I never got there.

On our way to New York, a massive storm wrecked the ship. And everyone on it died. Including me.

But I'm not gone.

I remember dying. I remember cold water rushing around me. Engulfing me into the dark abyss of the ocean. I remember gasping for breath. Hearing the screaming and crying of those around me. Then silence. Either I died at that point or everyone else did. But I remember going numb. Like I was just floating in an endless void of darkness.

Then I opened my eyes.

I was in a town. New York! There were people going about their everyday lives, leaving me to stand there in confusion.

I saw someone whose name I heard from Princeton. I walked up to him and tried to ask him what happened.

"Pardon me, but are you Aaron Burr, s-" as I went to grab his shoulder since he hasn't turned around to look at me yet, my hand went right through it.
"-sir...."

I froze. Did I just... I stood there just trying to process what had just happened when a young boy ran right through me. That's when I started to panic. I ran around trying to get someone's- anyone's attention. But I was ignored.

I tried to calm myself down and think. Then I remembered the stories of people who are born in different centuries than their Soulmate. I looked down at my wrist where my Soulmate mark was. It was my soulmate's signature. It was supposed to help me find them. Well I guess becoming a ghost until I find them would also help.

This conclusion only terrified me. That meant that my soulmate will be born at least a century after me. I have to wait 81 years until I come back to life. At least.

But there was no other choice. So despite not wanting to- I waited.

I witnessed the birth of America. I watched as the country grew and changed. I witnessed the revolution. I witnessed the civil war. I witnessed the world wars. I witnessed 911. And yet I was still waiting.

I never stayed in one place. I wasn't a fool. I knew that if I met my soulmate, I'd be connected to them and then only. If I met my soulmate then I'd be stuck with them, following them. Haunting them until they notice me.

So I traveled. If I met my soulmate then I'd appear by their side if I got too far. And yet I was still waiting.

In fact, it wasn't until after two hundred years after I died that I finally met my darling soulmate.