VI. Nee - chan

Seven years old Sasuke was observant. Not as observant as his aniki or even his beloved onee - chan, but he was a curious little thing.

Seven years old Sasuke also loved normalcy. He loved the days wherein his aniki would poke his forehead and leave the house for a mission. He specially loved the days wherein he was still awake whenever his onee - chan would arrive home during the evening.

That's why he hated it whenever this happened.

" - the clan is at stake! I -"

" - the village is more imp - !"

" - how dare -! "

" - Fugaku - "

He hated it whenever his family started to fight. He hated dinner time because that's when they were usually home and everyone was present.

He noticed it started a few months ago; back when his beloved onee - chan started to leave for a few days because of a mission, only to return with narrowed eyes and asking for their father's presence immediately. His onee - chan was calm, collected, and as laid back as one can get. It just didn't make sense to him why she was angry. After a few more missions, the pink haired Uchiha and their stoic father began to take their previous matters to the table, uncaring if they disturbed their peaceful dinner time.

He noticed that his cousin Shisui was always around his aniki, walking around him like he was a bomb waiting to blow. He also noticed that the other Uchiha were afraid of his siblings, as if they were ready to lash out any moment. 

He hated the feeling of not being old enough to pry. And that he actually still believes his onee - chan whenever she says, "We're alright, this is just temporary."

She was his onee - chan, and he trusted her more than anyone else in the world. 

---

"Onee - chan?" Young Sasuke gently knocked on the familiar door in front of him. As no one answered him, he began to knock once more, "Are you here?"

"Nee - sama is on a mission right now, Otouto." His aniki, twelve years old Itachi, told him as he carefully approached the younger boy. "Is there something of importance?" He asked.

Sasuke shook his head, "Nothing... Just wanted to say good night." He murmured. Sasuke was sad because his Onee - chan wasn't around again, come to think of it, she wasn't around last week too.

Itachi hummed, "I'm pretty sure Nee - sama would appreciate the gesture." He poked his forehead with a small smile, "But it's way past your bed time." He said before he carried Sasuke into his arms and slowly walked to his room.

Sasuke yawned, "I know... But I miss Onee - chan." Sasuke blinked a few times, "I thought she would be around."

Itachi opened Sasuke's door, "She will be home soon. For now, rest well."

---

"Okaa - san?", Sasuke called out to his mother, "Where is Onee - chan? Is she home?" He asked, as he had been for the past few months. His onyx eyes did not miss how the great matriarch flinched at the mention of his sister.

Mikoto gave him a sad smile, "I'm afraid she's not home yet." Was all she said before she left to tend to the kitchen.

Sasuke frowned before he let out a sad sigh, his eyes focused on his assignment to be passed tomorrow. It was a simple drawing, really. He and his peers were asked to answer the question: Who is your Hero?

Naturally, he drew his sister with her long, pretty pink hair and soft emerald eyes. To him, she was his hero and protector. She had promised him before that she would always arrive at his time of need. She was his hero, regardless of whatever gossips and rumors he had heard all over the compound about her and Itachi.

She promised to be his protector, but he was beginning to think otherwise.