Nightmares and Daydreams

Warning: chapter contains sensitive materials regarding mental health issues such as, but not limited to, Depression, Anxiety, and minor PTSD. Reader discretion is adviced.

---

Sakura frowned as she watched over the village from her position near the Hokage Tower. Her Cat ANBU mask was neatly placed on her face and her ANBU armor was polished and well - kept, courtesy of her mother's nagging.

It was times like this that the pinkette wished that she was on a mission. Ever since the death of Danzo and the meeting of Clan Leaders two weeks ago, most shinobi were kept inside the village to keep the village safe while politics played out.

At first, she was thankful that her clan was able to accept the terms of the proposal. Now, the Uchiha were at peace and happy at the recognition they were receiving from the villagers. She was also able to join her family in their meals nowadays, as opposed to when ANBU missions were out on high. 

But really, being a shinobi was taking a toll on every ninja worth his salt. The killing never really stopped after missions, no. The guilt. The constant fear of being attacked. The ambush. The faint smell of polished kunai. The lingering taste of blood. The deafening sound from a ninja tag exploding nearby. The soft sound of boots walking on sand. The dead bodies, too mutilated to be identified as friend or foe.

As happy as she was with the peace right now, she was also going crazy. There was just something that didn't sit right with her. And clearly it was affecting her very much. Sakura didn't sleep for more than four hours, nightmares and night terrors were always out for her life. It seemed to choke her, intent on dragging her into the pool of blood that never seemed to end.

She didn't even like to linger in the kitchen with her mother for more than an hour. Every piece of her was just yelling to leave, that her mother was still a seasoned kunoichi, and that the knives were looking very sharp and pretty. 

Shaking herself out before she gets an episode, Sakura took out a small bottle from her pouch. Inside were several small, white pills that became a veteran's best friend. 

Quickly swallowing one, she neatly put the bottle back into her pouch before she vanished into thin air. 

---

"Onee, good morning!" Sasuke cheered as he sat down in front of her, his small bag beside him.

Sakura smiled at him, "Ready for another day of school, Sasuke?" She asked as she placed an egg on his plate. 

Sasuke nodded, "You bet! But, you see, nee!" He stammered as he tried to describe something, "There's this guy!"

"Good morning." Itachi spoke out as he sat beside Sakura, his positivity oozing out at the mere sight of his sister.

"Spit it out." Sakura raised a brow at her youngest sibling.

"Naruto - baka is like, so dumb! And - and, he likes to brag about himself and all that! He even had the gall to punch me while we sparred yesterday!" Sasuke munched angrily at his bacon.

"Our little Sasu - chan has a rival." Mikoto giggled as she placed down a freshly cooked plate of ham and bacon.

"Oh," Sakura nodded in understanding as she exchanged glances with Itachi.

"How cute." Itachi smiled at Sasuke.

Sasuke groaned, "Ugh, as if!"

Fugaku grunted out, "Morning.", as he sat down on his usual spot with his morning newspaper. 

"Anata, what did I say about reading at the table?" Mikoto lightly scolded as she pecked him on the cheek before sitting down herself.  "Sasuke, you're going to be late if keep that pace up." She reminded him.

Sasuke gasped as he noticed the time before he began to swallow his food without chewing.

Sakura chuckled, "I'll take you to the Academy, Sasuke."

Onyx eyes brightened. 

---

Sakura frowned as she opened the door to the Hokage, deep down she was sure that this was a mission that was bound to go wrong. Her instincts was never wrong. It has never failed her, it was what kept her alive all these years and she learned to listen to it.

"You asked for me, Hokage - sama?"

The hard glint on his eyes seemed to burn her insides, the itch to reach into her pouch and get her bottle never seemed so strong. The urge to run away and hide from the Professor seemed to scream at her. But, her legs were stuck and felt heavy.

"I'm assigning Team Alpha on a mission. A mission that I can't guarantee that you'll make it back home in one piece." Sarutobi said as he placed a black scroll on his desk. 

"Team Alpha is going hunting."

---

One of the worst things about becoming a shinobi was that the killing never stopped, no.

The guilt.

The smell of trees and dirt mixed together.

The scorching temperatures of a Katon jutsu.

The guilt.

The constant paranoia.

The dread of coming back alive.

The guilt. The guilt. The guilt.

The ambush.

The sound of shuriken flying through the air.

No, it never stopped. It would always come back. Like a mother welcoming her child home.