7. If you can, why can't we?

After finishing their meal, Divya and Abhishek left the food court. Carrying a sleeping Diya in his arms, Abhishek said to Divya, "Why don't you buy something for yourself?" Divya looked at him and nodded. Abhishek led them to another showroom.

Showroom

The couple entered the showroom to find themselves surrounded by variety of dresses for ladies. From ethnic to western, everything was available. Abhishek looked at the dresses and questioned Divya, "What type of dresses do you prefer?"

"Suits or Jeans. But I don't know what to choose..." was the answer he got.

"What do you mean? Have you never shopped before?" asked a shocked Abhishek.

Divya answered, "I have but not for myself. Mom always monitored what I buy so that I don't wear too revealing clothes and with Abhay, I had to wear what he wanted."

Abhishek sighed and said, "You can always wear what you want. See and choose for yourself. I am here if you need any help." Divya gave him a nervous smile and started going through the dresses. Abhishek followed her, with Diya in his arms. Somehow, she selected a pair of jeans for herself and bought them. Abhishek looked at her and said, "You need to shop with my mother. Even the shopkeepers are afraid of her." Divya chuckled but soon her smile was replaced by fear. She whispered, "Abhay."

Abhiskek looked at the entrance and saw a man entering the showroom. He was wearing black jeans and white t-shirt and had a well-built body. Abhishek felt a sense of inferiority as he realised that Abhay was better looking. He cleared his thoughts, remembering his promise to Divya.

"Does he recognise Diya?"he asked. She shook her head in no. "Then quickly purchase a stole, cover your head with it and leave the showroom. We will follow."

Divya did as she was told and they were soon making their way to a men's showroom.

Diya was now in her mother's arms as Abhishek was busy selecting a few clothes for himself. He was interrupted by Divya, "Why don't we buy something for our fathers? And then we can go to another store and get sarees for our mothers..."

Abhishek smiled and answered, "Now that is a pretty good idea."

So, the couple spent the rest of their time to buy gifts for their parents.

Abhishek's House

Abhishek and Divya entered the house. Diya was again in her father's arms sleeping peacefully. They find Swati and Vinay sitting in the Hall and chatting. Abhishek gestured Divya and she gave her in-laws the gifts they had brought for them.

It was light pink saree for Swati and bright blue kurta for Vinay. Looking at the gifts, Swati said, "This cannot be your choice, Abhi." Abhishek nodded.

Swati smirked and said, "I knew it. You know Divya, both these men have such a poor dressing sense that you can't imagine. And your husband, he once got orange trousers for himself. Can you imagine? And then told me 'Mom I look like a joker '."

Divya giggled. Abhishek said in fake anger, "I was twelve." Vinay laughed and told the couple, "All three of you are invited for dinner at Divya's place." Abhishek nodded.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang. Swati hurried towards the door and opened it. "Have you got it?" she asked. The man nodded. "Then get to work." she told him. After around ten minutes, she paid him and he left. She called everyone outside and what Divya saw brought tears to her eyes.

The nameplate of the house had been changed from 'Srivstavas' to 'Diya'

The nameplate of the house had been changed from 'Srivstavas' to 'Diya'. Divya looked at her mother-in-law with tears. Swati smiled, "She is the daughter of this house. It is her right. And above all, her name has such a beautiful meaning. When do you light a Diya, when you are happy, when something auspicious has happened. So, this house is Diya. May happiness always reside here."

Divya asked between her sobs, "How can you all love her...accept her?"

Vinay said, "And why can't we? Is she not a child? Tell me one thing Divya. Had Abhishek been a divorcee, wouldn't you have accepted his child? If you can, why can't we?"

She looked at them with admiration. She was getting a chance to start a new beginning after a sad end.

If the end is not happy, then it's not the end yet. There is more to come.

_____________________________________________

So, how is it? 

What will happen now?

Do share your thoughts and opinions and also this story....

~Purnima