8. Does She Wish To Be Mine???

Abhishek's POV

Standing under the shower, I thought about the day. The cold water helped me to calm down my anger. How could they do so? How could they think like that? First they lie to me and then this? She is just a small child. Arghhh! I wanna kill someone. 

The dinner at Divya's place went fine except that in the end her father told me "If you want Diya can stay with us. I understand that she will be a disturbance in your privacy. She can stay here for a month or two. Or if you want forever." The last statement was said in a low voice so that Divya does not hear. He was suggesting me that I should leave my daughter with them. 

I remembered Divya's expression. She was hurt. Why will she not be? Diya is her life. She is Divya's reason to live in this world. And this man, he wants to separate them.

Punching the wall in anger, I realized I shouldn't have done that. My hand hurts now. I can't even punch a wall. I look at my body. I was not fat but I was also not what you would fit. I remembered Abhay. Broad shoulders, a well-built body and quite handome. I was not anywhere compared to him. I felt inferior to him. I wanted Divya to notice me but why would she? I had nothing which would make her do that.

I am talking like a teenage boy who wants his crush to look at him and fall in love with him. But what to do? I don't have a crush on her.....I love her. Yeah, I love her. How, when, why? That is a story for another time. But I do love her. I closed my eyes and remembered her face. The oval shape with a creamy complexion, the almond-shape, mesmerizing black eyes and the care and concern I always saw in them. How could I not fall in love with my Divya? But does she wish to be mine? 

I dress up and enter the room, lost in the same thoughts. Divya was already present, reading a magazine. I sit down next o her and say, "Can I ask you something?"

She looks at me and nods. Taking a deep breathe, I ask her the question that was tormenting me since long, "What was the reason of your divorce???

She sighs and says, "I did not do what Abhay wanted." I frown. What does this mean?

She continues, "I was in the fifth month of my pregnancy when Abhay decided that he wanted to know the gender of our child. It was a girl. He and his family wanted me to abort the child. I refused. Days and nights of arguements and then he threatened to leave me. I agreed. I could live without him but couldn't kill my child. We started living apart. Legally, we separated when Diya was seven months old. I took no alimony or property and he did not ask for Diya's custody. He never cared to meet Diya and I am glad."

"Diya doesn't know anything about him?" I asked uncertainly. She chuckled, "Our society is not so kind, Abhishek. She was told that her father left me because of her. That is why she didn't want Daddy. But I am glad that she has you now. A father. Thank you for coming in our life,Abhishek,"

She had tears in her eyes but smile on her face as if she had won a great victory. At that moment, I realized why mother is called God. Because perhaps a mother can do everything that the world considers to be impossible.

_____________________________________________

So, how is it?

What do you think of Abhishek?

Do share your thoughts and also this story.....

~Purnima