III

Rewind Villainess

Chapter three

This time, it will be mine.

"Greetings, Madam." A man greeted Jane as soon as she opened the door, bowing as he did so with his hat to his chest as a sign of respect. A toothy grin plastered on his face. His long unruly hair hung loose and framed his face with his short goatee. Clad in a long coat, rugged clothes, and even smelt of sea salt and booze all gave him away. This man was indeed a pirate. And one from the Sea Serpent's ship. She could tell by the mark on their faces, one that was made by hot iron.

Jane looked behind him with calculating eyes, and saw that he had company. Her mood soured at their appearance. Thankfully she had hid her disdain before it showed. "May I ask what you came here for?" Jane cautiously interrogated, not wanting to anger the man. The said man stood up straight, her sea blue eyes meeting dark brown one's. "Crow Trigh, 'tis my name. Is Alexander Hunt home?" Although he had said her husband's name in such a friendly manner, it wouldn't fool her. Afterall, the eyes were the windows to the soul. Trigh's eyes were filled with loath. What's more is that he tried to look inside her house. As if she was hiding something. Jane blocked the entrance,  closing the door slightly, only enough  space was left for half of her face. She did so for him not to acknowledge the existence of their daughter.

Jane knew all too well that Alexander had made a few enemies in the past. And Trigh was just one of them. "Sir Trigh, my deepest apologies but you've got the wrong house." Jane tried to smile politely, trying her best to shoo him away. "But Madam! I was informed that -" Trigh stayed insistent and tried to continue, pretending to be worried.  But how could a person so easily trust this man who displayed a fake show of fret.

"The Alexander Hunt that you're looking for lives five blocks away. Good day and good luck!" Jane falsely corrected them, her polite smile not faltering. She was getting annoyed and would like to get rid of him. "Madam!-" Before he could say any other word, Jane slammed the door on his face before placing a wooden slab to lock it. She rubbed circles on her temples, while knitting her eyebrows and slowly exhaling to relax. Jane approached the kitchen table and lit up the oil lamp. The fire came to life and danced around with the shadows, lighting up the once dark room.  She turned around to look at her daughter, surprised to see tears running down Lydia's face.

"Wu..Wuu.." Lydia sobbed while reaching out her small pudgy hands to her mother. Jane quickly picked her daughter up and wrapped her arms around the small girl's body. Her moves were gentle and full of care, as if Lydia would break in her touch. "Darling, what's the matter?" Jane asked as she patted her back softly.

"Wuuu..." Her tears increased but the sounds were silent. Only a few sniffs hiccups were audible. Lydia buried her face at the crook of her mother's neck, making her collar wet because of the tears. Jane kissed her daughter's hair and leaned her right cheek on her small head. Her heart clenched, she was pained to see her daughter like this. This was the only time that she witnessed her daughter cry. Lydia didn't seem to need anything at this time. But still, her crying continued as the minutes passed. Jane furrowed her brows and ran her fingers through Lydia's hair.

Unbeknownst to Jane, Trigh had spilled oil around the house, planning to burn the house with it's inhibitants down to ashes. "Light 'em up boys." He ordered, laughing giddily. "The look on Hunt is gonna be priceless!" Trigh cheered along with his lackeys as they watched the fire scatter. "This time, I will have the last laugh!" His eyes gleamed with killing intent and glee if his supposed victory. Trigh had been searching far and wide for Alexander Hunt for three long years, now that he has, he has said that he will be reaping what he had sowed and so he will.

The damage that Alexander has done to Trigh will never be forgotten and it was already burned into his mind causing him to go slightly insane. Trigh had once been a Captain of the ship, Bellinda. Up until the Platinum Anchors had infiltrated it and stolen all it's gold, leaving them with nothing but a sinking ship. Well, truth be told, Trigh did stole it from El Bendićion and the Platinum Anchors had rightfully returned it. Trigh had almost lost everything until he joined the Sea Serpent's crew. If not for Ricardo Henessy, it's captain. Owing him his life, Trigh swallowed his pride and dignity, pledging to serve him as long as he lived.

"You bastard!" Alexander shouted from afar. He was accompanied by Captain Reeves and the members of Platinum Anchors. At the sight of his now burning house, he felt mixed emotions. Anger towards Trigh sadness, and dissapointment to himself. Trigh turned around, hearing his voice. "Well, well, well. If it isn't Alexander Hunt himself! Did you come to watch the show?" Trigh mocked him, the smug grin still plastered on his face. Alexander charged at them, bringing out his gun. "Hunt!" Reeves grabbed hold of his shoulder but Alexander brushed it off. Inwardly sighing, Reeves motioned for his crew to help him. They brought out their firearms and cutlasses as well and they charged towards Trigh's smaller group.

A gunshot was heard from outside, disturbing the mother and daughter. It was too late to notice that the house was on fire, slowly eating away the wood. Jane hurriedly grabbed a cloth and doused it with water. Wringing it before covering Lydia's mouth and nose with it. "We're going to be okay." She assured her daughter but the tremble in her voice proved otherwise. Jane crouched down to avoid most of the smoke she inhaled and headed towards the door.

The once peaceful meadow that the house stood on immediately became a battle field. "Not so fast, boy." Trigh said as a bullet came rushing to him. He was only lucky to get grazed by it. Trigh aimed at his opponent's leg but it was skillfully dodged. Although Crow Trigh was older, it doesn't mean that Alexander Hunt wasn't more deft than him.

Alexander threw a dagger directed at his stomach, succesfully hitting it. Trigh took his time crouching and removing it with pain in his eyes. Alexander's aim was right, he shot Trigh in between the eyes without thinking twice. An easy win. To kill a fellow human is a sin. But when push comes to shove, it's either kill or be killed. In this cruel world you always  have to choose, else they would choose for you. Trigh, fell with a thump to the ground. He died with the same toothy grin on his face assuming that the wife and the child was long gone. But Alexander wasn't left unscathed. Right after Trigh fell down to the ground, a bullet lodged in Alexander's left arm. He bit his lip to suppress his groan and glared at the one who shot him. "Let them take care of this." Reeves said, ripping cloth from his upper garment and tied it around Alexander's injury. "Go and save them."

A burning plank fell down from the ceiling, almost crushing the two. But fortunately, Jane found a way around it. Lydia's tears increased and placed one of her hands on her mother cheeks, as if caressing it. Her mother coughed. This was bad, the more time she spends in there, the more smoke she inhales. The minor and major scratches and burns weren't helping either. Jane was feeling lightheaded. Even after all this, she persevered and kept her goal in mind. Jane needed to get Lydia out of here as soon as possible.

She was almost there. "Jane!" Alexander kicked down the door with a handkerchief tied around his head for him not to inhale smoke. Jane released a soft smile in relief and was about to run to his arms. Jane knew that they were already saved. But sadly, cruel fate always had to play it's role.

End of Chapter Three.