VIII

Rewind Villainess

Chapter Eight

Still a foe or now a friend?

After dinner, I wiped the edges of my mouth with a handkerchief and got up from my seat. My father looked up from his bowl of bone soup upon hearing my chair move. "Are you going to bed Dia?" He asked, using his  nickname for me. "Yes father. You should as well." I replied curtly. "Even if you consider yourself to be strong, you are still human. You need to rest." While I am lecturing him, he chuckled. I blinked in surprise. What I was saying is true. Lecturing him about his safety is now like a daily task that I should do. I just don't want to lose someone again. Especially if that someone is precious to me.

He reached out to pinch my cheeks. "You really remind me of your mother." The look of nostalgia crept up on his face as he sat there. His eyes glistened almost as if he is about to cry. The uttered words tugged at my heart strings. It was proof that even now, he still thinks of my mother. I'm proud of him for staying loyal only to his first love.

"I miss her too." I told him and pinched his cheeks too in means of comforting him. My father's infamous lopsided smile appeared. It was one of the reasons why women can't contol themselves around him. Basically, the pretend to trip and fall on him on purpose with such lowly acting. Luckily, he doesn't fall for their poor seduction. "You're growing up too fast Dia! I almost forgot you're still eight!" He complained, his face crestfallen. Well, it was true. A normal eight year old would only care about toys and fun.

I opened my mouth to retort but my father suddenly flinched, immediately moving his hand to his left shoulder. A pained expression showed up on his face. "What happened?" I asked, voice filled with trepidation. "Gotcha." He laughed while poking my nose. His eyebrows were creased but he still had on his smile. I saw right through his act.When he noticed that I didn't change my expression, his laugh turned into a nervous one. "What really happened?" I repeated.

"It's just a small cut." Fidgeting, my father finally answered.

"Okay then." I said, not bothering to question further. For now, I'll trust his words. "But most importantly, take care of yourself!" I know what kind of quests they go on. From fighting beasts to saving kidnapped people. My father has done almost all of them. "I'll be going back to my quarters then." I told him, waving goodbye as I approached the exit. My father waved back, his cheek resting on his right arm on the table. Little did he know I heard his sigh of relief.

I ran all the way back to my room to avoid Xion. Because if I did meet him, I might cause another problem. The good impression that I was about to build already has a dent on it. I would definitely not like for it to crumble into dust the next time around.

•■{《》}■•

Now laying on my bed, I faced the ceiling and sighed. An eight-year old shouldn't be going over such problems as this! I threw aside those problems first. For now, I shall sleep. Closing my eyes shut tightly, my eyebrows creased. I tossed and turned on the bed in hopes to find a good position to sleep in. Eventually, I fell off of the bed.

Ah. Another one?

Shouldn't this be enough for the day?

The trembling Heroine appeared before me, a droplet of blood flowed down her cheek from the fresh cut. She layed there on the ground. It seems that the setting is in the forest. Her usual braided brown hair was untied and disheveled. With limpid ruby eyes, she begged for her life.

"Please stop this! It hurts!"

"That much is obvious Miss Juliette Rosmeja." The villainess said, a sinister laugh escaped her lips. She pointed a dagger at the heroine who trembled in fear. The villainess approached her and pushed the dagger lightly at her chin. In a sickly sweet voice, she asked "Which suits you better? Burned or Buried deep?"

I forced my eyes to open as cold sweat ran down my body. Clutching my throbbing head, I crawled back unto the bed and brought the blanket up to my chest with shaking hands. Somehow, the soft fabric comforted me a bit. Definitely, I'll never follow the former villainess' footsteps. However, what if the former villainess takes control of this body again?

I didn't know how long I layed there only staring at nowhere, cocooned in my blanket. I pondered on my question. As I did so, frightening ideas came and added up on top of each other. The ship was silent, leaving me to my thoughts but I had heard a few creaks here and there. Thankfully, my eyelids drooped as the pleasant sounds of the splashing waves on the shore lulled me to sleep.

•■{《》}■•

The sun creeped inside the room, lighting up every corner with it's gentle touch. The same delicate light reached me, causing me to wake from my sleep. Getting up from my bed, I let out a small yawn. I'd better get up and go help Priggs in the kitchen. I quickly combed my hair before heading to the kitchen.

But well, my luck seems to have run dry. The person with usual messy white hair and piercing violet eyes appeared. Again, I had met Xion. To top it off, I met him on the same hallway that I had bumped into him yesterday. Coincidence? His eyes widened at the sight of me. This should be the right time to apologize to him. "Ah. I'm sorry for yesterday." I managed to blurt it out.

"You..." He muttered in a quiet voice.

I didn't hear what he had said. But anyhow, I should also inform him of my intentions to not cause any misunderstandings. Before I could even tell him, his long statement shocked me.

"You seem to be troubled. Is it because I'm here? Are you afraid that I would get all of the attention? Jealousy sure can take you a long way. You also seem to avoid me and you would quickly look elsewhere if I caught you staring. Tell me, do you want anything from me?"

I may have a villainous face such as my upturned eyes but hopefully he will also acknowledge my personality. "Well, to start, your accusations went too far. Do I really look like I am jealous? And as for your last question." I looked straight into his violet eyes. I understand why he asks me this. Knowing that Xion went through a lot from being a slave since his early years, I remained calm but my heart beated fast as I answered his last question.

"Please be my friend."

End of Chapter Eight