Side Story I

Rewind Villainess

Xion

Part One

The cages and the clipped wings.

"No! Let go of me!" A young girl wailed as she was being dragged by her auburn hair. By looking at her, she wasn't even older than five years old. Her screams echoed throughout the hallway as she was hauled like a sack. Her hands held her hurting scalp as her legs kicked and thrashed. Her screams of hopelessness continued. It reached everyone's ears but no one was brave enough to save her. I ignored it as best as I could but her screams rang in my ears.

I bit my lip until it drew blood. My hands held in tight fists shook in anger. "Help me!" She screamed as tears continuously fell down from her blue eyes. The petite girl reached out her scrawny hand. "Please!". I snapped. I didn't know what I would have done differently. But I felt the need to do something.

I lunged at the man, biting his arm as hard as I could. "You damned scalawag!" He released the girl's hair and shouted at me in pain. As soon as she was released, she scrambled on all fours and got to the other kids. I bit down harder. The man howled and held my head, pushing me off. He threw me to the side and I hit the wall. The back of my head bled after the contact.

He walked towards me, livid. I knew I wouldn't be let off the hook the moment that my body reflexively helped the girl. He raised his hand and beated me until I was left with bruises all over. When he was done, he showed a satisfied smile and went to the children huddling together. The man pulled out the same girl by her arm and placed her over his shoulder. The girl continued to scream and pound the man's back with her tiny hands.

He looked back at me before he left.

"Treat him. We can still sell that."

The maids that were wearing masks bowed before the man. Just like he instructed, they entered the cell with a bag in their hand. The last thing that I saw were the fear-stricken eyes of the children. Slowly closing my eyes, I lost consciousness.

I hate this.

The cold cement.

The foul stench.

The noisy children.

The wretched people who would use us as they like.

I hate everything about my situation.

Just after a few months, he returned.
The cell door opened with a creak. A burly man came in view and all of the children occupying the cell scurried off to the far corner of the room. We were seventeen children in all. Some of the children were very young. Some of them were teenagers. A thing in common is that all of us were scared. We dared not to make a sound as he came closer, his keys jingling in his hand. His footsteps were slow and heavy as if he was taunting us. I didn't budge, only hugging my knees closer to my chest. He whistled a happy tune and pointed at each one of us. A wicked grin spread across his face.

"It's bidding time kids."

Nothing was to be done. If ever someone oppose or fight back, it would be an instant death for that person. If somebody wanted to escape, it would be futile. This place is packed with watchmen. We should have been twenty children. From the information earlier, one could tell what had happened to the others. A routine was followed before the bidding would start. It was taught to us from the beginning but it's our first time to be out of the cell. The reason why is because we would definitely sell for a high price. Everyone here is exceptionally good-looking considering the rare eye and hair color that we had. I scoffed. These men were just saving the best for last.