VII

Rewind Villainess

Chapter Seven

The goal to live a long life.

My heart was still pounding as if it would jump right out of my chest. Leaning on the door, my knees gave out in a split-second. I slid down to the wooden floor and stared blankly at nowhere. The memory still burned at the back of my head. It felt like I was still at that moment, watching myself decay.

I slapped both of my cheeks softly to get rid of evil thoughts and focus on the problem. It stinged a little and I regretted doing that. But even so, it diverted my attention to something else. Sadly, it was only temporary and I would eventually have to face my problems. Staying here and doing nothing would be unproductive. Even if I'm scared. Even if there was little hope. I have to try.

I would gladly challenge fate if it means I would get my own happiness. Exhaling deeply, I hoisted myself up from the floor and patted my sundress to get rid of the dust. I approached the table, determined and filled with motivation.

•■{《》}■•

Two hours has passed since my first encounter. During that time, I engrossed myself in brainstorming. Papers were layed out in a row infront of me with childish writing. Curse my pudgy hands! I can't write well with the quill. I surveyed my written work and creased my eyebrows, my hand placed on my chin. The options that I thought of were minimal.

Which of these can I do?

The former Lydia is like an abusive sister so it's obvious that I'd go with another alternative. Even if some of the crimes were not commited by the former Lydia, the people would all pinpoint the crime directly at her. Without evidence, that is. Not conducting an investigation before accusing is unfair! Just because that heroine-supporter said so doesn't mean that person is right!

Why not blame the candidate's female club? They're obviously using me as a cover-up for their crimes. I'm not saying that one should side with a bratty villainess and also, the people do have a point. The villainess did bully the Heroine quite often. But I knew that former Lydia was still brewing up a plan and is yet to take action at that time.

Avoiding him is a safe option. Befriending him is somewhat like a gamble but it has it's perks. In becoming acquaintances, he might not actually mind me getting killed. Xion was that kind of character if it comes to hurting the precious Heroine.

That's it!

Befriend the kind-hearted Heroine.  If ever Xion's on his rampage, to prevent him from harming even a single hair on my head, the Heroine will be there! I groaned, aggravated. Should I have been a normal mob character, I would be living a free life. Growing old with small and cute puppies and kittens on my lap would be very much appreciated. So I'll have to work hard for that future. Alright! I need to imprint a good impression of me to Xion.

As I was daydreaming, the bell rang. It's signalling that it's time for dinner. Getting up from my chair, I ran towards the door.

•■{《》}■•

Rushing through towering pirates, I greeted them politely. They returned the gesture with a smile. Surely Prigg's cooking would refresh my mind. I drooled, imagining the rows of exotic dishes. Just a little bit more closer and  I'll be there. Upon turning a corner, something soft bumped into me. I tripped.

Luckily, I caught myself with my hands even before I can fall flat on the floor. When I opened my eyes to look at the soft thing, my deep green eyes met violet ones framed with long eyelashes. "Beautiful." I couldn't help but to utter when I saw them up close. His eyes widened in shock at my comment. When he came back to his senses, Xion reddened. His eyebrows knitted as he tried to cover his tomato-colored face. "Get off!" He shouted. Gasping at my action, I immediately pushed myself off of him.

"I'm sorry!" I exclaimed, almost muttering 'Please don't kill me!' but I held back my tongue. Without looking back, I ran as fast as my short legs can carry me. It's only been two hours since we had met and I'm already causing trouble. With this, my plan is ruined. Heroine let me stick to you like glue! I'm coming for you! Placing my hands at the sides of my head in panic, I silently prayed.

•■{《》}■•

I arrived at my destination looking like life was sucked out of my body. "Dia." My father called out to me, motioning me to come over at our usual table. I sluggishly walked towards him and sat on the chair opposite from his. My head rested on the table as soon as I did.

"Hey bud!" Priggs smiled when he saw me. He approached our table after grabbing a plate from the kitchen. "Here's your share." He handed over a plate of Salmagundi. "Thank you." I replied monotonously, picking up the wooden spoon. "You look like you've been sucked dry of any emotion." My father commented, perturbed.

"It's nothing. I'm fine." I replied, putting up a smile. But I was internally crying, hoping that Xion would just disregard my existence and live his happy life. Frolicking in the flowers hand-in-hand with the heroine sounds like a good suggestion. "Are you sure?" He interrogated further as I placed the spoon in my mouth, munching on the vegetables. Replenished, I hummed in delight.

"Well then I'll go back to the kitchen. A lot of people will be coming in." Priggs said and left.

Xion walked in with Captain Reeves and scanned the room. When I layed eyes on him, I almost choked. My father patted my back, clearly alarmed while I coughed. After it subsided, I cleared my throat and reached out for a glass of water. My father chuckled and returned to his seat.

Just as Priggs has said, the room began to fill with pirates. "I have an announcement to make!" Reeves stood up, catching everyone's attention. "As you all know, we have a new person on ship. I'd like all of you to meet Xion." The room filled with gleeful chatter as Reeves placed a hand on Xion's shoulder.

"I am taking him in as a part of our crew. From now on, treat him well. And would you mind showing him the ropes?" Reeves added, earning whistles and cheers from the pirates.

I gulped, wondering if I can twist the plot and save myself. I looked at my father's joyous face. He barely got through the loss of my mother. How much more if he will lose me. Surely, I will protect that smile.

At that time, I promised myself.
If it's for him, I would.

End of Chapter Seven