XVI

Rewind Villainess

Chapter Sixteen

Nighttime Rendezvouz

The cold air nipped at her skin. Lydia got up from her crouching position, her gaze staying on the anonymous figure on her left that was five feet away from her. She blinked and narrowed her eyes to adjust to the darkness. That voice. She only realized that she's heard that voice only a few times ever since she's been here. Lydia froze on the spot, not knowing what to do or what to say.

"Zeke?"

She called out once she noticed red hair and honey-colored eyes. At this point, Lydia didn't know what to explain. "It's me." He replied and approached her, coming out from the shadows. The soft glow of the moon accentuated his features as he stepped forward. "What are you doing at this time of the night?" Lydia asked and took a few steps backwards. She side-glanced at the shrubbery, checking to see if Xion was there.

"I should be the one asking that. So tell me."

This is bad. Silence wafted through the air and Lydia was stuck on just staying silent or telling him the truth. It was getting colder and colder by the minute. Eric's warning flashed red in her mind.

"Just be reminded that my family should not know about any of this. At all."

Cold sweat ran down her forehead as Zeke waited. Her palms became sweaty as she thought about the outcomes of the choices she will make. Incessant blabber came out of her mouth as she tried to stall more time. Zeke seemed confused, sighing as she even made wierd hand gestures.
All of a sudden, a voice came from the thickets in the forest.
"Lydia! What's taking you so long?!" Xion whisper-yelled as he pushed away a branch to see her more clearly. His white hair was covered in leaves and he looked very irritated.
Once Zeke saw him, he freaked out and immediately began accusing them of inappropriate acts.

"What are you two going to do in that forest?! Alone!"

Zeke turned as red as his hair with steam coming out of his ears. He couldn't stop spouting out nonsense, his awkward laughter joined in. While Xion was thinking of those inappropriate acts, his face was dusted in red also. Lydia heard light footsteps approaching them along with a faint light that she saw coming from a corner. She ran towards Zeke, the sounds of her shoes crunching on the dried leaves could be heard. Lydia covered his mouth to make him stop and pulled him into the forest.

Zeke was in a state of shock.
She made him crouch down beside her, hidden in thick leaves of bushes. Lydia placed a finger infront of her lips, signalling him to be quiet. Zeke frowned and made a motion to stand up. She pressed him back down and then preceded to drag her finger across her neck. Zeke stayed quiet, now fearing for his life.

Xion crawled towards them, making sure to not make a lot of noise. Lydia looked through the small spaces of the leaves and a small maid came in view. "Anybody there?" The maid softly called out as she fearfully looked around her surroundings. She was shivering while holding a lamp on her right hand that illuminated an orangey glow around her. "I'm sure I heard something." The maid muttered to herself, looked around once again and turned to leave.

"Ghosts I say! Ghosts!" She talked to herself as she hurriedly went inside the mansion. Lydia breathed out as if the anxiety that was pent up inside her was released. She got up and dusted her clothes while Zeke and Xion mirrored her actions. "Just go back to your room Zeke." She ordered him and spun on her heel to walk away from him. "No. I-" Zeke tried to protest but Xion immediately cut him off.

"Look. It's none of your business."

Zeke could only bite his lip, his hands balled into tight fists beside him. Afterall he was right.

"Just please answer one question."

Lydia and Xion stopped in their tracks and looked over their shoulder. Zeke just stood there with determination in his eyes. Looks like he wouldn't back down without a fight. "What are you two up to?" He asked with all the seriousness in his voice. Xion looked over to Lydia and furrowed his eyebrows. She simply nodded at him opened her mouth to speak. A single word came out.

"Revenge."

Zeke'z eyes widened. Placing the puzzle pieces together. He didn't think much of it but he can recall them looking at each other as if they were speaking telepathically in the dining room at breakfast.
Was it because of what they heard from Maicee?
If so then...
"Then let me help you." He exclaimed a little too loudly.

Xion groaned, now annoyed of his prescence. He sure is persistent. This kid is eating all their time to go find the prison. He doesn't look like he's had any experience at all with this stuff. At this moment, Lydia frowned and thought about what can he possibly do to help them. Zeke persistingly looked at the two.
"It's about the children Maicee talked about right?" He asked, hopeful that he is correct. They didn't answer. "I know where they brought them. I can lead you to it." He added.

To be fair, it would lessen their load. Foremost, it would be easier if they had a person to direct them since Czyrek is a large city. Lydia pulled Xion aside to talk to him. For five minutes, they deliberately argued and weighed out the pros and cons. "Alright." Xion exasperately sighed.

"Let's go."

•■{《》}■•

"It's there." Zeke said, while they hid in a corner. He pointed at a cobblestone building. Two guards stood outside the vicinity of the building. They held sharp pointed spears on their left hands and a shield on the other. "Plan?" Lydia asked and looked at them. "How about a distraction?" Zeke suggested, shrugging his shoulders as he did so.

"Back me up." Xion said and stepped out of the shadows. Lydia was about to pull him back by his arm but she couldn't reach him anymore. He approached the guards and smiled politely.

"Ciao. È tempo per te di mangiare merda e morire."

Lydia could only do nothing but facepalm.

End of Chapter Sixteen

Author's Note:

Wow! Two chapters in a week!

This is kind of like a chapter to compensate for the weeks that I haven't published.

With hugs and kisses,
From MonoPanPan