Chapter 9

Hi everyone! Welcome to the final chapter of this fan fiction (is that one word? I'm not sure😂).  I have had so much fun creating this and I want to thank all of you for supporting me along the way.  And of coarse as always, I hope you enjoy the last chapter!❤️
- M

Thor

The Avengers plus Loki and the rabbit had all gathered around in one of the many lounge areas and were currently all stunned to silence.

   Stark had just finished explaining his plan to take down Thanos and no one seemed to know what to say.

   Thor was under the opinion that it was suicidal and insane, though if you asked him, those were the best kind of plans so he kept his mouth shut and didn't object.

   He turned to find Loki staring at him with raised brows. Thor merely shrugged and offered him a half grin. Loki rolled his eyes and Thor felt his smile grow at the sight.

   Just when the silence was beginning to grow uncomfortable, the rabbit spoke up from where he sat.

   "Well, I'm in." Stark grinned slightly and clapped his hands.

   "Wonderful! Well that's one, now all we need is...four more." Natasha glanced around and then looked back at Tony.

   "There's five of us." Stark dramatically glanced around the room again, taking the time to deliberately look at each person.

   "No.There's four. Rodgers's vote doesn't count because he'll just do his own thing anyway, no matter what the rest of us think," Tony stated in a fake cheerful voice contrasting his harsh words.

   Steve merely rolled his eyes and shook his head. Natasha let out a loud sigh.

   "Guys, seriously? I thought you put all this bullshit behind you." Tony looked up at her innocently.

   "Oh, we did." He then have a wryly grin. "Doesn't me I can't still give him crap for it."

   Before the conversation could escalate any further, Thor cleared his throat and spoke up.

   "I'm in as well." From across the room Banner muttered,

   "Of coarse he is." Loki looked to him for a few calculating seconds and Thor found himself wondering, despite the words they'd exchanged earlier, whether or not Loki would join them.

   He then looked to Stark and stated,

   "It's not like I have much choice anyway." Thor found himself smiling again and reached to brush his hand against Loki's I'm silent support and appreciation.

   "Well," Stark said. "That leaves two more, even though you've already been out voted. What will it be?"

   Natasha gave Tony a measured looked before saying,

   "I'm in." Banner looked at her for a long moment and it seemed as if the two were silently communicating. When Bruce tore his gaze away, he looked up at Tony.

   "Yeah, yeah, I'm in too." Stark clapped his hands again.

   "Perfect, well now that we know everyone's in- "

   "Would you quit being a dick for two seconds?" Cap asked cutting him off. Tony gave a mock gasp,

   "Language!" Cap rolled his eyes once again, but this time he was beginning to look slightly annoyed.

   "I know my opinion doesn't matter to you, but I thought you should know that I'm in too. If we're going to do this then we all need to work together, we're a team. And not just any team, we're the Avengers."

   Tony made intense eye contact with the wall above where Rodgers's sat, before shaking his head. He then nodded,

   "Right. What he said."

   Thor looked around at everyone there and realized for the first time that they were all the original Avengers, the only one missing was Hawkeye and he would be joining them soon enough.

   Stark cleared his throat, "Well since this plan is very time essential, we need to get moving as soon as possible."

   The look in Tony's eyes caught Thor off guard. The normal sarcastic, full of it, carefree exterior had been replaced with a look that was almost... haunted.

   Thor wondered for the first time if Tony wore a mask to cover what he really felt within.

   Sorrow washed through Thor as he looked around the room at the faces of the others. Each of them had lost so much along the way, himself included.

    Yet here they were, all of them, still fighting, in hopes creating a better future. A future where they could all sit back and relax knowing that everything and everyone was okay. Perhaps it was a future that didn't exist, but Thor knew deep down that it didn't matter. Even if it was impossible, he knew that everyone here would keep fighting until the day they died.

   That day could be in a week, a year, ten years, hell, that day could be tomorrow for all he knew. When they died wasn't what mattered. What mattered was what they did with the time they had. And until that time ran out, the Avengers would keep fighting for a better future and for a better world.

Loki

Loki stood at the entrance to the roof watching Thor as he stood on the edge gazing out into the night sky.

  After a moment he moved silently to join the other god. He didn't say anything, merely standing there next to him to gaze at sky as well.

   Thor didn't utter a word either but after a moment his hand brushed against Loki's and their fingers laced together.

   Warmth flooded Loki's body. The feeling was still foreign but he was gradually growing more accustomed to it.

   He allowed himself a small smile. Loki wasn't sure how Stark's brilliant plan would go, and if he was being honest he didn't really care all that much.

   He'd go along with it though because he did care about one thing, and that thing just so happened to be standing right next to him.

   Several minutes passed before Thor spoke up.

   "As gods we live to see stars be born and die. Life times flash before our eyes. However I will never be alone, for I know you will always be by my side."

   Loki's heart fluttered in his chest. No one had ever said anything like that to him before in life. For a moment Loki was speechless but then a teasing smile crept onto his face.

   "You just had to make a grand speech didn't you?" Thor grinned and turned his head so their eyes met.

   "Oh come on you loved it." Loki allowed his smile to grow and then leaned up so their lips pressed together. He was suddenly filled with the taste of citrus and sunshine.

   "You're right, I did." And then he added, "But not as much as I love you."