The Visitor

Doc Spent the next several days and nights contemplating how his life on the island was becoming consumed by thoughts of Maera. Part of this condition stemmed from the fact that he had not seen her since that astounding day of storytelling and the wonderful fish dinner she had provided for him.

He had seen a number of pleasure craft sail or motor by his side of the island during that time, as the summer season was now, at mid-June, in full swing. Sometimes at night he could hear the diesel engines of a large commercial fishing boat pass by and as early morning approached, the familiar rhythmic thumping of the Greek kaikis cruising gracefully by. These were the older, colorful Turkish-style boats that carried their nets out between the islands. Manned usually by a single, seasoned fisherman, these sturdy little crafts would journey out far to where their masters knew the migrations of fish.

There was also, when the breeze kicked up, zig-zagging off shore, and often close to the rocks, the inflatable pleasure boats--jetting over from the mainland or other nearby islands. On missions of sightseeing and swimming, these annoying rubber and fiberglass vessels, with their noisy twin engines, would sometimes drop anchor or be beached just off the cliffs below Doc's place. There they would find a protected cove to provide a picnic and refreshing swim for those adventurers who went out carefree for the day.

On one such morning, while taking his usual hike along the cliffs, Doc looked down to see a sleek rubber craft beached below him, its passengers obviously either in the sea or laying out on the narrow strip of white sand, enjoying the warm sun. Curious about their absence from the boat, Doc hiked down nearer the edge and could finally see just one lone shirtless vacationer, preparing to put his skin-diving equipment back into the boat.

As Doc climbed down closer to the edge of the sea, he could hear the young man speaking loudly in Greek--Doc's first and native language. He could soon see the fit young diver was actually speaking to someone using his cell phone, and it became obvious as he approached that the diver was indeed alone.

The professor was happy to see the man peacefully enjoying the day, and it was obvious he had just finished his dive—a place where the Ionian waters were some of the clearest in the Mediterranean. Standing nearby but still unseen, Doc decided to break his own solitude and have a brief word with the diver. For there was, among his Greek compatriots a longstanding tradition for camaraderie and conversation, no matter what or where the circumstance.

Using his now rusty Greek, he called out to the man so as not to frighten him as he approached.

"Good Morning! Did you have a good dive this morning?"

"Oh. Hello . . . Yes. The visibility is fantastic today. Tons of fish out there!"

Doc smiled and walked up to the man who was carrying his equipment from the narrow beach back to his boat.

"I was just calling my friend Georgos . . . on the other side of the island. He's missing some great shots. He's a photographer."

"My name is Orestes," Doc said. "You want some help with your gear?"

"Thanks, no." the young man said, greeting Doc with a smile and shaking his long dark hair to dry it in the wind. "I'm Alexandros. This is an amazing cove. Do you come to it a lot?"

"It is quite beautiful, yes."

"My friends and I are over from Lefkada. We're staying these days at Porto Kalamos. On the other side? You?"

"Well, I live not far from here."

"Live? You don't mean, visit, like everyone else?"

"There are a few of us crazy souls who live on Kalamos year-round."

The young man named Alexandros finished carrying his aquatic belongings into the boat and was getting ready to depart, most certainly back to the other side of the island.

"So, tell me friend," he said quietly. "I guess you must know that beautiful girl I saw swimming out there this morning.

Doc raised hie eyebrows.

"Does she live around here, too?" the diver asked. "I didn't see any other boats or houses around."

Doc just nodded. "Was she wearing a . . ."

"A dress? Yes! How many girls do you know swim in one?"

"Just one, actually," Doc said, looking around. "And yes . . . you could say she does live around here."

"At first I thought she might be in trouble. Wearing clothes in the sea like that. But then when I got near her . . . she swam away better than any Olympic swimmer. It was amazing!"

The young man then laughed and shook his wet hair again.

"Well, if you see your beautiful neighbor soon, tell her Alexandros would like to meet her sometime . . . and hopefully soon . . . before my friends and I go back to Lefkada . . . and then our home in Thessaloniki."

"Well I know she's . . . very shy. But I'll be sure to tell her, Alex."

"Great. So . . . what's her name?"

"It's . . . um . . . Maera."

"Maera? Bravo! A mythological name."

"Yeah. That's right."

"Well, you have a good day, Orestes. Maybe we'll meet again."

"Let's hope, Alex. Travel safe!"

With this, Doc helped push the boat out into deeper water were the engines were started and the craft sped noisily away, the bow splashing whitely into the wind.

As Doc began to climb back up the cliff, he heard a voice and looked to the side. There sitting near him, still wet in her white dress was Maera, her auburn blondish hair pushed back out of her lovely eyes.

"Hi Doc . . ."

"Hey, I've missed you."

"Yes. And I you. I just needed these days to think, Doc. And be alone again.

"Perfectly . . . alone."

"OK. Well, I guess you saw our visitor down there."

"Yes, I saw him. Looked at him closely . . . both in and out of the sea."

"Well? . . . So what do you think?"

She smiled and turned her sweet face way, trying to hide the fact that she was blushing.

"He was . . . yes, handsome."

"See? There are a few available young males around here, you know."

"I just could not get myself to come closer to hm. To speak to him. Much fear and no trust. You know that about me now."

"Alright, but . . . you know . . . he saw you. He asked me if you lived here. Wants to meet you next time."

"Yes. I heard what you said to him. And I know you are trying to help me, Doc. There is no human sweeter than you."

Doc found himself speechless again. A habit he had got into with her.

Maera took a deep breath. "We shall see about these things." She then turned to walk down to the beach."

"Where will you go now?" he asked.

"Out there. Into deeper water," she said quietly.

"Why? To go there to feel alone?"

"No . . . for something quite different this time."

"Why? What would that be?

"Something very simple, Doc."

He saw a faint smile come over her face.

"To do what then?"

"To cool this body of mine down."

"Doc smiled at her and Maera smiled more fully back at him, trying to cover her face as she ran toward the sea.

* * *