Epilogue

Several days later, Dr. Orestes Roussos' lifeless body was discovered by the young Dimitri while cruising around the island of Kalamos in his speedboat. The Greek authorities at first considered his death an accident—simply the case of a man at mid-life swimming alone in the sea and drowning. Later, after it was determined from people's testimony on the island and mainland who knew of Doc—those who had knowledge of his detachment into seclusion and possible depression, a classic case of suicide was not ruled out.

His body was sent to his aging mother in Athens who, knowing of his lifelong request for cremation, relied upon his distant cousins to carry out the wishes of a relative whom they hardly knew. All of them only understood he had left Greece for the United States as a young and brilliant student.

The news of Doc's death took some time to reach California, and only after several more months, when Dr. Stevens of Stanford University returned in the spring to Greece on an academic assignment and came to Kalamos to check on the condition of his former colleague. A scholarship was soon established at the university in Doc's name for future students of Classical Studies. It was particularly intended for an individual scholar who would devote his or her research and teaching to the body of ancient Greek mythology.

In time, Doc's simple stone house was once again relegated to the insects and woodrats that had found their way back into the archaic structure to call their own. But year after year, during all seasons on the island, there would come a few people who would go exploring on that quieter, unpopulated side of Kalamos. They would sometimes report seeing a lone woman in the distance—walking along a forest path, or swimming effortlessly around the coves of the island. She was sometimes spotted nude and sometimes seen wearing an incongruous white gown. Because of her youth, her seclusion and elusiveness, the young woman's legend was given the title by the locals—and hence to those traveling back to their far-flung lands as, The Last Nymph.

* * *  

_________________________________

Readers: If you enjoyed this tale and want to have an e-book copy of it long after it is taken off Wattpad, it is available on Amazon Kindle Books. Find it here with all my novels and stories for about the cost of a Starbuck coffee:

https://www.amazon.com/Califia-Montalvo/e/B00VQWUXOE

[Warning: Any attempt to copy, decrypt, record or reprint this intellectual property in any way, without the expressed permission of the legal literary entity Califia Montalvo, will be investigated, identified and prosecuted to the full extent of current Copyright violation.

Any of this text in part or whole, found to be in violation of this warning—in print format, PDF files, audio files, or electronically reproduced (including cinema or video production) for the purpose of sharing, selling or offering it to the public through as a private membership without written consent—will be in violation and subject to proper litigation through a copyright attorney's firm located in San Francisco, CA. This office maintains active representative solicitors in the U.S., Europe, Asia and the Middle East.]

Text and e-book copyright © 2018 Califia Montalvo All Rights Reserved