Another World

When the skipper of the yacht finally located a berth to moor the beautiful catamaran, Diane asked Doc what their plans were while on Lefkada. The bright lights were stunning as the two couples prepared to leave the craft. Jim and his lady friend each had a small suitcase, while Doc and Maera were as they were in Mytikas—empty-handed, save for a few shopping bags Maera had acquired of new clothes.

"Well, frankly we had no plans. Except to ride over here on the ferry. We'd find a place to sleep for the night, see some sights in the morning, and head back to Mytikas and then Kalamos," Doc said humbly.

Walking down the ramp onto the dock, Jim laughed.

"Orestes, I can see you've been away from civilization for a while, my friend. It's guaranteed you won't find any accommodations tonight at this hour. On this island. And that's anywhere near this gorgeous side of the place."

"Jim's right, you two." Diane chimed in. "Listen. We're staying our last night here at a fabulous place. And it has a guest room!"

"It's an amazing place, guys," Jim added

"Why don't you two just spend the night at our place this last night," Diane added. "Seriously, there's a room we've never even used."

Maera's eyes became very wide when Doc looked at her for some quick feedback.

"Well, I suppose," he said. "If . . . as you say, we won't be in your way."

"Doc, seriously. You'll not be any trouble to us. It's a huge place. Maera will love it. I promise."

"Maera?" Doc asked, carrying on with the loving couple impression, "You want to stay the night in a room you'll never, ever see the likes of on Kalamos?"

"I can see your friends are good people, Doc," she said. "I am just happy to be with all of you."

"That's the spirit, sweetie," Diane interjected, reaching over and briefly holding her hand.

"Well," Jim added. "So it's all settled. You'll be staying with us at the Golden Trident. It's seriously a place you'll both enjoy."

"Alright Jim, but really? I'm feeling we're imposing on you and Diane a little too strongly here."

"Enough small talk, professor! I liked it better when you were discussing Nymphs."

Doc smiled, but Maera looked down and was silent as they walked out of the Yacht complex.

Once on street side, Jim hailed a taxi from the sidewalk, and the four got in. As they headed along the boulevard, the people and cars were all telling a story of opulence. It seemed to be a brand of wealth from all over the world, congregating on this large, green island for fun and escape. As they passed by the center of activity, the quaint Oldtown of Lefkada, numerous restaurants and boutiques were illuminated in amber and golden tones. Maera looked out and could see a vast plaza inside one street, where tourists in the cool air seemed to be shoulder to shoulder, and with the sound of reggae music blaring.

"How do you like that sound," Doc whispered into Maera's ear.

"It makes me want to dance! " She whispered back with enthusiasm.

"Jim, what do you say we stop over at The Muse for a drink this evening. Before we hit the hotel for the night."

"Great idea, Hon."

This information was quickly conveyed to the cabdriver and within ten minutes, they were pulling into a valet parking area in front of a green and blue illuminated club.