Lessons from the Sea

As the passenger boat ferrying the crowd from Porto Kalamos to the Mytikas Marina arrived, Doc led the way for the two into the town. Once a small fishing village, the settlement of Mytikas looked both ancient and modern. It was one long, tiled street running close along the sea with small houses and shops on both sides. Looking back across the strait afforded an impressive view of the green island with no visible signs of human occupation.

In the town there were markets for food and tavernas, a fishing gear shop, a small hardware store, three bars, a mini-market, two bakeries, and a pharmacy—all thrown together for the convenience of the locals who lived in Mytikas all year. But for now, it was overrun at mid-summer. That was when the descendants of the early people who settled there would come back for vacations. It was also now crawling with visitors and tourists, mostly from other parts of Greece, but also comprising a colorful mix of internationals who each year found the Ionian islands irresistible.

To help Maera settle her nerves, Doc took her to a café table at the edge of the sea. His island home loomed radiantly in the background. Maera seemed so remarkably placed there in her beautiful new clothing, he thought. And the Nymph could not stop looking at the people as they passed by and stared in turn at her.

"Most these tourists on the mainland want to spend all their days on the sea." he said. "In boats or swimming on the beaches. That would be totally ridiculous for you, Maera. So just what do you want to do while you are over here, off the island for the first time? . . . Besides, of course, looking at new clothes." He laughed.

"I like watching the people," she said.

Just then a young couple holding hands walked by their table. They were oblivious to everything through their joy of being together. Maera was fascinated by them and continued to stare as they passed by and stopped to kiss at the edge of the breakwater.

"You humans do love to love, don't you, Doc?"

"Well . . . yes, I guess that's one of our favorite pastimes as a species."

"As a what?"

"A species. A type of creature. Which we're supposed to share the planet with. Fairly and with respect . . . birds, fish, dolphins, and other species. But sadly . . . humans rarely do."

"Are Nereids species?"

"Yeah, I suppose you are. But I guess since we humans need to reproduce . . . and apparently you and your sisters don't make a habit of it, you'll see a lot of lovers during these days around here. And . . . the products of their lovemaking . . . kids."

"Children! Yes, they are so beautiful!"

"I suppose they are. Most adults like me will usually avoid them . . . if we don't have our own."

"Did you ever have a lover, Doc? And children?"

He paused to think before answering. It was true, he never had a child. But lovers he did have. Though for a myriad of reasons, none lasted.

"No. No children."

"But you must have had a lover . . . maybe many. You are a handsome man."

He smiled back. "Thank you, Maera. And yes . . . I did have a few lovers."

"I hope you were not like the men I have met . . . all hands ! Only wanting to, well . . .you know. Just like Alexandros!"

"Young men make that mistake. Over and over," he said with regret in his voice. "They don't understand the female species. It takes years to finally understand what women want. What they like. Believe me."