Human for a Day and a Night

Doc was surprised at Maera's words of affection and her lasting hug. As they started back toward the forest trail above the cliff, the professor had an idea which was bold—and perhaps only now possible.

He stopped and faced her.

"You do seem to have human affection inside you, Maera," he said matter-of-factly. "Though you don't believe you do."

She looked at him, puzzled.

"How would you like to come with me today. Over to the mainland. For the whole day and maybe the night? To feel like a real human in other ways. I mean, enjoy the day, the sights. Wear some new clothes, and watch the tourists, as I rarely . . . but sometimes like to do. You can forget for a while that you are . . ."

"A Nereid . . .?"

"Yes. Exactly. I think it would be a good experience for you. And I'll make sure no one bothers you . . . or even suspects that . . . well you know."

A gradual smile started to form on Maera's young face as she began to consider Doc's unusual offer.

"You mean . . . go with you in the large boat . . . to that place across the bay? Where so many people live?"

"Yes! Precisely that. We'll get you some new clothes . . . much more touristy stuff. And let you feel like one of those foreigners . . . or the Greeks who populate Mytikas during the summer. It should be fun for you . . . and fun for me to watch."

Maera was smiling full-heartedly now. Her eyes had grown wide and bright at the prospect, excited like a child's.

"Alright then," Doc said, smiling too. "It's final. We'll go back to my place. I'll change my clothes, get some money and we'll go to Porto Kalamos to catch the mid-day boat over to Mytikas."

"Oh, Doc . . ." She hugged him again. "It's a wonderful idea. Something I have never done . . . in all my years!"

"Great! It will be fun. I promise."

"But Doc, you must also promise something else."

"Which is . . .?"

"To not leave me alone. Not for one bit. It is a new world for me. The mainland. To be out of the sea . . . and for so long. I fear what could happen. Those men took my sister Thoe this way, and you know that now."

"Yes, I know. But that was centuries ago, Maera. I'll not let you out of my sight. We'll just be the crazy uncle and niece. Like we told the photographer . . . Traveling tourists. In the middle of a sea of humans."

"Exciting!" she exclaimed, "But still pretty scary, Doc. I do trust you, though . . . So much!"

* * *

Following the lengthy walk around to the other side of Kalamos, the two entered the little town of Porto Kalamos. Doc led a reluctant Maera, still wearing one of her outlandish and full-length dresses, directly to the only shopping area. It featured several women's apparel shops, usually closed in the winter, and he encouraged her to see what the other young women were wearing before entering the store. He then suggested she go in and select a new wardrobe for the day, and possibly the night. It would be a lengthy stay. once over the straight to Mytikas.

"This is all so amazing!" Maera exclaimed, standing on the tiled street and watching the tourists and locals alike, strolling the quaint streets of the town.

"Are you alright now?" Doc asked. "Are you still fearful?"

"A little . . . Oh Look! I see children . . . and other women . . ."

Doc acknowledged a large family of foreigners who were myopically gazing around the town with cameras out for 'Selfies.'

"Those women . . . Some are much older than me . . or my sisters."

Doc was at first puzzled by the remark.

"Not like us, who never age. I had never seen children much in all my centuries either in the sea. Just young men. And those on the decks of ships mostly."

Doc found her observation and comments fascinating.

"Then you must see me as someone pretty ancient then, right?" He stood before her waiting for a harsh judgement. "I'm older than the young men on those ships you constantly encountered."

"Doc . . . No! I do not see you in that way. Don't you know? The only other male I have ever loved in my life, was a man who looked, cared and treated me much like you? And he was a king . . . my father, Nereus!"

Doc looked away from the crowd of people on the street and closely into Maera's face. Hers was a sincere expression now of admiration and respect. He just nodded back, too moved to answer.

As the two entered the trendy women's wear shop, catering to the wealthier tourists, his young companion squealed with excitement seeing the many colors and diverse fashions hanging about the windows and on the racks inside. Doc chuckled to himself, realizing there really were some stereo-typical features about all females—whether they be truly human or not.

For more than an hour, Maera removed her dress in the changing room and tried on what seemed to be a myriad of articles of summer fashion statements—blouses, shorts, skirts, shoes

For more than an hour, Maera removed her dress in the changing room and tried on what seemed to be a myriad of articles of summer fashion statements—blouses, shorts, skirts, shoes. Next came the hats and sunglasses. Surprisingly frugal in the end, she picked one of each type of article, and Doc was relieved by this, as his retirement check was not as tragically impacted as he had expected it to be.

As Maera decided with the help of a salesgirl, on a certain outfit—well-matched and color coordinated to wear out into the open air, Doc carried her heavy former dress--still smelling of the sea in one bag, and the other new purchases in another.

Immediately on the street while walking to the small port, he noticed people staring at this beautiful and now fashionable young lady at his side. Surely, he told himself, they'll think of her as my daughter, and he went about unabashedly walking close at her side.

At every chance there was a window along the street, Maera would pause to stare at her more "human" image. She smiled at each stage of the way and looked back to Doc for his approval. This he did merely by nodding his head furtively, while others around them looked on admiringly, as well.

The boat ride to Mytikas was equally as fascinating, and somewhat exasperating to Doc, as many of his acquaintances on the boat—the usual travelers and locals, looked at him now askew. They were too intimidated by the girl's beauty and mysterious nature to ask him for an introduction. Doc just smiled back at them and spoke in quiet whispers to Maera all the way across the strait.

* * *