A Return to Paradise

Returning that late evening to the Lefkada Yacht Club marina, the two disembarked with the others and walked in the bright lights to the main street of the Old Town. Maera saw the busy shops illuminated and tugged at Doc's arm to go once more the women's wear stores. He smiled and realized they did have at least an hour before the ferry to Mytikas left the harbor.

"I want to look at bathing suits again," she said, shyly.

"You don't like the beautiful one you wore today?"

"I love it! But remember, I live in the sea. Those dresses are not as nice to wear. May I have just one more for all times?"

Doc laughed to himself, realizing there was something in the female constitution, both human and mythological, that loved the act of dressing for occasions.

"Yeah. Come on," he said, affectionately. "We have the time," checking his pocket and affirming his wallet and debit card was still able to be employed.

Doc mused to himself how actually inexpensive the trip to Lefkada had been, considering no hotel costs thus far, and the fact that his sweet Nereid companion miraculously did not eat or drink. Another bathing suit was the least he could spend for her happiness.

Entering the shop this time Maera was well-aware of the process and went directly to the long rack of colorful women's suits. In a matter of minutes she picked out three or four models and nodded at the sales girl on her way to the changing room. When she finally emerged wearing one, Doc watched her turning and posing in front of the mirror as before. Her choice was a smaller, more revealing style, this time dark blue in color. The sales girl, standing next to her, had brought over a colorful coordinated head scarf for her to try on as an accessory to the summer fashion statement. She and Doc had seen several young women wearing this combination at the beach and on the street.

"Doc? Do you like this one?" she asked, twirling in a full circle.

"It's just as beautiful as the other," he said. "You're stunning in both, Maera."

"Isn't she?" the salesgirl weighed in, enthusiastically.

"So, is that your choice?" he asked.

"Yes, Doc. And with this," she said, stoking the long scarf as if it was her own hair.

"Great," he acknowledged to the diligent assistant. "We'll take both."

Looking back in the mirror, Maera clapped her hands softly and smiled back at him.

Walking out into the cooling air and toward the ferry landing, the Nymph suddenly stopped, dropped her shopping bags and embraced Doc full heartedly, oblivious to the crowds of tourists around them.

"You are so good to me," she whispered, and kissed him on the cheek. "I can tell your love is real, Doc. And I love you too . . . like I've never loved anyone."

He was momentarily stunned by the burst of affection and being cognizant of the people now staring at the loving couple, he just patted her inconspicuously on the back.

When they reached and entered the ferry, Doc knew the journey would be less than an hour back to the mainland port and the two would have to stay the night in the town of Mytikas. In the morning they would take the small ferry shuttle back to Kalamos, his island home.

During the boat ride, Maera leaned her head on Doc's shoulder and seemed close to sleep. He heard her humming a little melody at times which he could not recognize, and his academic mind was curious as to its ancient origin. Her deep mysteries never ceased to amaze him. And though at times she reawakened his former mythological inquires, it was now the individual Nymph herself and not the study of Nymphs which had captured his passions.

When they reached the humbler port of the small town, the two got off the ferry and wearily walked to the first of the small hotels Mytikas featured. They had to search all four of the inns before finding a vacancy for the night, fortunately, due to a cancellation.

As they entered the small hotel, its contrast to the Golden Trident on Lefkada became obvious. It mattered little to the both of them as they had had a full day and rest in the comfort of a private room to Doc was utmost. Taking turns to shower, the two wore their dry bathing suits to sleep in and Maera was now no stranger to the rejuvenating nature of a soft bed. Doc lay next to her and she put her head on his chest in repose.

"Doc, don't talk to me tonight of the way a man kisses a woman's body. I do not want to feel that need right now. I just want to be here with you . . . all night in the sweet way you are to me."

He leaned down and kissed just her forehead. It was an affirmative response to feeling no need himself to repeat the amorous and erotic antics of their night before. In the airconditioned room, the two slept soundly until daylight could be seen peeking through the curtains.

After rising and dressing, Doc led the way down to the breakfast area where he ate voraciously the muffins, yogurt, honey, and juice on offer. Maera, of course, had nothing and looked with interest at the travel guide provided to guests in a booklet on each table. When she saw a picture of the Mediterranean dolphins jumping gracefully in front of a cruise ship, she smiled.

"Look, Doc. My friends! I miss them so much."

"When we get back to Mytikas, you should go see them, Maera. I want you to return to the sea. For as long as you need . . . to feel home again. I trust you will visit me . . . "

Of course, I will, my love," she said sincerely. It is both our homes. You on the land and me in the sea."

Doc just nodded and smiled back, his heart full of warmth at the promise.

* * *

When by midday, the two had disembarked at the port of Kalamos on the other side of the island. There Doc looked for his young friend with the speedboat to deliver them around to the other side. As they waited for him to arrive, they saw swimmers in the sea and Maera went into a restroom, returning with her new blue bathing suit on.

"Doc. I must go into the sea right now. It looks so inviting. Do you mind if I swim here?"

"Of course not," he said, surprised that she even had to ask. "Our boat is not here. Enjoy the clear water. Go find your dolphin friends."

Maera smiled and walked out to the end of a narrow and crumbling cement dock. She stood facing the cobalt and turquoise water in her stunning bathing suit and headscarf. It was an iconic image of her, standing before her true home. And one which Doc would forever cherish.

* * *