24. one year later

Thomas stood outside as his eyes scanned the backyard, looking for something lost in the grass, the sun shining but the wind blowing, causing him to shiver.
Suddenly, he found what he was looking for, and walked towards the little bush where the ball was.
''Here it is,'' he said with a grin while kneeling down to pick up the red ball.
He got up and turned around.
''Rocket!'' he called and whistled.
Thomas laughed when the little dog raised his head in a hurry, and he threw the ball. His dog ran like crazy, as fast as a... well, a rocket, and caught the ball, already rolling on the grass.
''Come on Rocket, bring it to me! Come on!" Thomas cheered on, however, his dog let go of the ball a few meters away from where he caught it. Thomas sighed and slightly laughed, before walking towards the ball and picking it up again. Rocket watched as his master prepared himself to throw the ball again, and when Thomas barely raised his arm, the little dog ran all the way accross the yard, ready to receive the ball.
''No, Rocket. It doesn't count. That's not the point here. You have to run after the ball.'' Thomas said to his dog. However, he threw the ball towards the puppy. He walked happily towards him and knelt down by his side, petting his little fluffy head.
''Good boy, good doggy.'' he hummed, while getting up, his dog into his arms. ''Let's go inside, yeah? It's getting cold.''
Thomas walked into the warm house and removed his slippers, putting them under the radiator as Rocket shook his body and skipped away. The boy's eyes fluttered close as he felt two arms hugging him from behind, and when he turned around, his lovely boyfriend stood there, looking gorgeous as always.
''Hello there,'' he said, leaning in to kiss Dylan. ''I didn't know you were home.''
''I just got here.'' Dylan said, running his hands up and down Thomas's back. ''Let's go, or the food is gonna get cold.''
''The food?" Thomas asked, holding his boyfriend's hand, a frown between his eyebrows and following his boyfriend into the kitchen, where he found two plates already settled down and chinese food on the table.
''Chinese, to go. Is it okay for you?"
''It's perfect, love. Thank you.'' Thomas said, and they both took seats at the table.

It has been one year now since the boys moved in together in the house. It was very comfy, cosy, warm and welcoming. Well decorated and painted, frames of pictures hung to the walls, pictures of them and their families, pictures of them and Rocket, everything that cared for them. Right above the TV were their handprints, painted, and by their handprints stood now Rocket's paw print as well. Rocket also had his bed, he had two actually, one on the living room and one upstairs in the boys's bedroom.
Rocket was a little brown and white dog, well trained and so cute, always making the boys laugh and smile.
Life was wonderful. Thomas and Dylan were very happy, fond of each other.
Thomas still had therapy days, but he felt better and better, so, he thought about ending it soon. He was more than alright and Dylan was so, so kind to him. It felt like a dream.
The blond boy took a bite of noodles as he watched Dylan, his gorgeous Dylan, beautiful eyes surrounded by those long, beautiful lashes. Dylan and his many cute moles, Dylan and his perfect nose and lips Thomas could kiss over and over and over without ever being tired of doing so.

''How did the audition go?"
''Oh, uh, it went well,'' Dylan said to his boyfriend, sitting straight. ''They might call me back.''
''Wonderful, honey. I'm sure they will.''
Dylan smiled at Thomas and took his hand into his. The boys then heard something running into the kitchen and there he was - Rocket, looking up to his humans, his tail wagging, waiting for them to share food with him.
That was their life now, and it felt like wonderland. They lived simply but had everything they could wish for, had fun, and loved each other.

The boys later slumped into the big and cosy couch, Thomas curled up into Dylan's arm, and turned on the TV. Rocket jumped onto the couch and also scotted next to Dylan. He smiled and kissed the head of his Tommy.
''Are you excited about tomorrow?"
''Oh,'' Thomas shrugged. ''It's just my birthday, you know.''
''Oh come on, love. We're having a party! It's gonna be fun.''
''I'm just scared I'm gonna feel overwhelmed. There are going to be so many people.''
''Yeah, but you love them all. And if you do feel overwhelmed, we can always sneak out for a minute alright? Just you and me.''
''Alright.'' said Thomas, looking up to his boyfriend and pecking his lips.
They watched a movie together, and yawned often, but they both wanted to wait until midnight for Thomas's birthday before going to bed. When the movie ended, it was 11:40, so they went upstairs to the bedroom and obviously Rocket followed them, immeditaly curling up into a little ball of fluff in his bed.
They cuddled on the bed for a minute before changing into pajamas, Dylan standing next to his bedside table and Thomas on the edge of the bed.
He got lost into his thoughts, his gaze locked on the flower rug by the bed. That flower rug, the cheesy flower rug. He remembered when Dylan brought him from America when they moved in a year ago.

''Honey, I also brought back a surprise for you. I know how much you like it.'' Dylan had said, beaming at Thomas.
''What is it?" Thomas had giggled, and he had burst into laughter when Dyl had unrolled the rug.

Thomas's lips curled up into a soft smile, thinking about the first time he saw that rug and what happened next. Oh yes, he loved that rug, cause it brought back so many memories into his mind anytime he looked to it.
His heart squeezed into his chest, all the memories flooding back and making his tummy tingle.
He realised how much he loved his Dylan and his eyes almost got filled with tears. He realised how he needed his Dylan in his arms and life, how he was happy and how lucky he was.
Thomas turned his body towards his boyfriend and his heart fluttered.

''Honey?" he said, softly, causing Dylan to turn around as well and sit down next to him.
''Hm?"
''Will you marry me?"

Thomas simply said the words, no great gestures or anything planned. He just had to say the words. He saw how confused and chocked Dylan was, he saw his lips parted and travelling from smile to choc.

''I didn't plan anything. I just couldn't wait any longer.''
''Tommy I...Are you kidding me ? I..I.." Dylan said, his voice shaking while his hands were searching everywhere in the nightstand for something. Finally Dylan found what he was looking for and opened a tiny box for Thomas, a beautiful silver ring throning inside.

''I never went to an audition today.'' he said, looking at Thomas with many emotions in his eyes.
Thomas covered his mouth with his hands, tears filling up his eyes and rolling down his cheeks. He couldn't take his eyes off the ring.

''I went for this. I went to buy you a ring. I was planned on asking you tomorrow, for your birthday.''

The boys' hearts couldn't beat faster, both were in chock but so, so happy, so in love.
Thomas looked up to Dylan, his breath shaky, and their eyes locked. He glanced at the clock and saw it was barely past midnight.

''Well... it's my birthday now.'' he said, whispering, trying to record the moment, trying to catch up on what was actually happening.
He saw how Dylan smiled and how small tears left his pretty eyes as he let out a laugh.

''Tommy... Will you marry me?"

Thomas nodded, crying again, happy tears wetting his cheeks and pulled his husband-to-be into his arms. ''Yes, yes, yes yes yes, I will, I'll marry you, of course I'll marry you.''

_______________
❤️❤️❤️❤️