Chapter 1

{A/N} So I'm thinking I'll update every Saturday. Thoughts? Opinions?

The clues around the house are simple and easy to follow. Carlos Ortiz had begun to hit the android with a bat, which was apparently not the first time the android had been attacked. The HK400 had grabbed a kitchen knife and retaliated, ending Ortiz's life by stabbing him twenty-eight times in the torso. You stand next to Connor, scanning the kitchen to recreate the fight between the two.

"Hey Connor," you pipe up. Connor turns to you. "Do you think the android had been beaten before?"

"Possibly. Why do you ask?" the other android queries.

You clasp your hands behind your back, staring at the traces of blue blood. "It's my job to understand why it did what it did. Maybe it grew tired of being constantly damaged."

"Androids do not feel pain. You know this, [Y/N]."

"We can shut down if we're too damaged." You turn to it, looking it in the eyes. "And not all of us can have our memories uploaded to a new body every time the original is destroyed."

Connor doesn't have a response, staring at you in contemplation. You continue through the house to find how the android escaped. Connor eventually exits the kitchen to report to Lieutenant Anderson, still wondering what you'd meant.

Though it had over nineteen days to flee from the crime scene, the deviant couldn't have gotten far. Since it was severely damaged, someone would have noticed its condition and reported it, or the authorities would have already located it.

Is it possible it's still in the house? you wonder. Then, you shake your head. It probably would've left at the first opportunity.

Looking through the rest of the house, you find a narrow hallway that leads to a tiny bathroom with a standing shower. It's dilapidated, but the shower catches your eye. The characters "RA9" are obsessively written over every surface in it, and a small statue sits at the bottom.

A religious figure, maybe? RA9 sounds like it should be some kind of android, but there is no RA9. Maybe it was the human's obsession. Ortiz definitely abused red ice. Is RA9 what caused the android to deviate?

These thoughts whirr through your mind, but you eventually leave the bathroom, opting to search through the rest of the house for additional evidence. All you can clearly deduce is that there was a struggle and that the android escaped. Without the rest of the crime solving software RK800 has, you can't be absolutely sure.

RK800, AKA Connor. How much has it deviated by now? You need to find out, but you can't be too direct or it won't trust you.

I need it to trust me so it'll confide in me and tell me about its system errors. If I play the part of a functioning android, it'll trust my code over my prying. Anderson might be an issue, however. He's too human – too curious and suspicious to be fooled by my obedience act.

Out of the corner of your eye, you see Connor heading off to the bathroom. It had already explored that space, so you follow to see if it found any new evidence. It passes the bathroom, looks down at an empty space on the wall – seemingly where a ladder used to be – and then it stares up at the ceiling. You follow its gaze and see a panel. It seems like a hatch to the attic. Connor freezes and turns around when it hears a voice:

"Did you find something?"

It turns around and finds you standing behind it, with your arms crossed.

"I believe so," Connor answers.

It retrieves a chair from the kitchen.

"Hey! Hey! Hey! What are you doin' with that chair?" Anderson asks as Connor begins to walk back over to you.