Chapter 5

TZ100 dot H-M-N dot M-M-C-K equals fifty-six percent.

You sit in the backseat of Hank's car with Connor as it slows to a halt in front of a small fast food restaurant. In giant, bright letters the words "CHICKEN FeeD" are spelled. The incorrect capitalization irks you, but you keep the comment to yourself. It's the day after you attempted to locate the escaped android.

As he exits the car after telling you two to stay put, another automated car pulls up from his right, nearly hitting him. He holds his hands out and sidesteps it. "Woah! Hey! Hey! Hey!" he shouts with indignation.

He arrives at the open window of the vendor. You can faintly hear the man greet Hank. "Hank. How' you doing?"

"Eh, you know, same old shit," Hank responds.

"Plastic with you?" the man asks while glancing back at Hank's car, trying to see if you and Connor were present.

"Only temporarily..." Hank replies.

"Hey, hey, hey... Hank!" another person greets. "How you doin', man?"

"¡Ese!" he exclaims, embracing the other man.

Connor begins to exit the car, and you do the same. Rain immediately begins to dot your skin. It dampens and slides down the fabric of your CyberLife uniform. The blue glow of your jacket's accents creates a haze in the gray air. The two of you accompany Hank while the men's conversation continues.

"Hey, listen, I got a shit-hot tip for you," the man says. "Number five in the third, Lickety-split! That filly's one hell of a chaser. You wanna flutter?"

The way the man speaks is foreign to you – Connor also seems a bit puzzled – but Hank seems to understand perfectly well. "Last shit-hot tip you gave me set me back a week's wages, Pedro..."

The man – Pedro – laughs nonchalantly. "Come on, this is different, it's 100% guaranteed. You can't go wrong."

You quickly scan the man.

Aabdar, Pedro. Born: 01/25/2005 – Criminal Record: Illegal gambling and fraud

The man behind the counter is also interesting.

Kayes, Gary. Born: 12/03/1988 – Criminal Record: Resisting arrest and breach of hygiene regulations

"Alright, I'm in," Hank relents, handing Pedro a wad of cash.

"Damn straight!" As he walks away, Pedro turns around to shout, "Hey! You won't regret this!"

As you and Connor reach Hank's side, his attitude turns from relatively pleasant to annoyed. Connor stares at him while you gaze down at the ground. You feel a bit... different, today.

"What is your problem?" Hank asks Connor. "Don't you ever do as you're told?" Connor remains silent, never breaking eye contact. "Look," he continues, "you don't have to follow me around like a poodle!"

It looks away with embarrassment. Your eyes finally rise from the ground to the space in front of you. Connor leans toward Hank and begins to apologize:

"I'm sorry for my behavior back at the police station. I didn't mean to be unpleasant."

"Oh, wow..." Hank muses, smirking. "You've even got a brown-nosing apology program! Guys at CyberLife thought of everything, huh?" He turns to you. "What's the matter, [Y/N]? They forget to give you one, too?"

You blink and turn to him. What you intend to say is, The space in my software was used for things besides sucking up. What you really say is, "Would you like me to apologize?" It's almost as if you choked on the words you wished to say, unable to speak your mind.