Chapter 8

TZ100 dot H-M-N dot M-M-C-K equals seventy-six percent.

You stare out of the window from the backseat of Hank's car, looking past Connor and to the bright lights of Eden Club. Fuscia, coral, tiger, and magenta melt together before your eyes. The result is a warm glow with a virtually visible haze hanging in the air around it. The building, itself, is a deep admiral blue, only giving more contrast to the eye-catching illumination.

"Aw... Feels like somebody's playing with a drill inside my skull..." Hank groans as he pulls up to the entrance. He stares at the building uncomfortably. "You sure this is the place?"

"It's the address in the report," Connor replies.

"Right..." he sighs. "Okay..."

You stifle a laugh. "Don't look so down, Lieutenant. This is an interesting case," you tease, leaning forward and gesturing toward the building. "Try to have some fun."

Hank gives another groan. "Let's get going." He puts a hand to his head as he slowly exits the car. "Jesus." You and Connor follow him to the door of the club. As you walk through the roofed entrance, Hank notices the gratuitous and mildly explicit advertisements along the walls.

"Sexiest androids in town..." he reads. "Now I know why you insisted on coming here! Oh, boy..."

The doors glide open soundlessly as you approach them. "Welcome to Eden Club," a woman's voice greets.

Sex androids scantily clad in black form-fitting undergarments are displayed prominently in glass tubes. They turn and smile at you as you enter, making you a bit uncomfortable, admittedly. Their cases are numbered one through six; five and six's eyes never leave you.

You walk up to tube five, staring at the android inside curiously. It turns slightly for you, to give you a better look at its body. Your eyes glide across its body for an instant before you snap your gaze back up to its face. It giggles and leans forward a bit more. If your eyes were to leave its face, you'd see straight through its black Eden's Club top...

"What the fuck are you two doin'?" Hank calls, quickly grabbing your attention before your discipline dissolves. You turn to find that Connor had been gazing at the android across the room.

"Coming, Lieutenant," the two of you say in unison.

As you walk through the doorway into the main area of the club, you realize that the previous room was a warm bed compared to the uncomfortable situation you're about to be in. You manage to steel your expression into one of apathy and indifference. Inside, you're screaming to leave. The androids around you stare at you intensely, and you feel as though they're undressing you with their eyes. You close your eyes and take a deep breath, reminding yourself that they're only programmed to act this way.

Plum and fuscia lights swirl along every surface, while white pinpoints line the ceiling like regulated stars. This would be a wonderful place to relax if it didn't feel like nearly everyone in the room wanted to get a bit too friendly with you. Music drifts through unseen speakers. Sex androids dance on poles or sway in place from within their tubes.

"You're not gonna take my license, are you? I mean, ha, I had nothing to do with this!" a ratty voice nervously laughs.

"The investigation's ongoing, sir, I can't tell you anything for the moment," a calmer, annoyed voice answers. This voice belongs to the officer you'd seen before, when the AX400 escaped.

"Hey, Hank!" he calls as he notices the three of you.

"Hey, Ben. How's it goin'?"

"It's that room there," Ben says, gesturing to a closed door with "OCCUPIED" glowing red on it. "Oh, uh, by the way... Gavin's in there, too."