Chapter 7

Software Instability: S-L-F dot H-M-N dot M-M-C-K equals seventy-eight percent.

You sit in the backseat of an autonomous taxi with Connor. Rain pours from the skies, dampening the dark night. The ride is smooth and serene. As you stare out the window, you notice Connor staring at me, as usual. You turn to it.

"Is this the norm now?" It raises an eyebrow. You sigh. "Why are you staring at me?"

"I don't mean to stare. It's just that... you confuse me."

"I seem to have that effect on people."

"Your demeanor is so abrasive that it's difficult to remember that you're an android, at times," it breathes. "Not to mention what appears to be a glitch in your system that almost completely shuts down your emotion emulation."

"So much for 'unique' and 'endearing'," you say, speaking of its analysis of you earlier.

Connor remembers its previous statement and quickly clarifies. "I was being wholly sincere, [Y/N]. I meant what I said." It seems concerned that it might've offended you.

You let out a small chuckle. "Calm down. I was joking," you say, waving your hand nonchalantly. "I know that I take some getting used to. 'Abrasive' is putting it far too lightly."

"I don't think so," Connor replies thoughtfully. "You're not at all unpleasant. Just... different."

A pair of smiles make their ways onto the faces of the two androids. However, yours soon dims a bit. "Don't go getting attached. Wouldn't want to disappoint you when I get deactivated."

Its smile fades with your comment, but regains a bit of its former brightness as it says, "I'm happy to work with you... No matter how fleeting our partnership may be. And you never know – It's possible that CyberLife will see your achievements and potential." There's a slight twist in your stomach. It's not quite apprehension or anxiety, and you can't quite place it. As you open your mouth to speak, you notice the car slowing to a halt.

Software Instability: S-L-F dot H-M-N dot M-M-C-K equals eighty-eight percent.

"You have reached your destination. Thank you for traveling with Detroit Taxis. We look forward to seeing you again soon," the car chirps. 

"Maybe..." is all you say as you shrug and exit the vehicle. Connor watches you carefully, having noticed a similar sensation to the one you had been feeling in itself. It reminds itself to run a diagnostic later. For now, it follows you up to the house of Hank.

When you reach the front door, you press the doorbell. Nothing happens. You ring it again, and there's still no response. Sighing, you leave the door and look through the window, seeing little but an unkempt living room. Connor heads around the house and finds an unobstructed window. Peering through, the two of you notice an unconscious Hank lying on the ground next to an overturned chair. Garbage litters his kitchen table.

"Lieutenant Anderson?" Connor calls out. You bang on the window. Neither prompts a response from the unmoving form.

"Get back," Connor says, and you take a step behind it.

Using its elbow, it smashes through the window. Then, it takes a running start and propels itself through the window, barreling to the floor and onto the shards of broken glass. You roll your eyes. Just to show off, you take a running start and perform a perfect screwdriver vault, landing delicately on your feet beside Connor, who still sits on the floor. When it notices that it's staring, it looks away with mild embarrassment.

A large dog approaches it, letting out a bark. It backs away with a hand in front of it, trying to calm the dog down.

"Easy!..." it takes a moment to think. "Sumo..." You hold back a laugh, watching the scene unfold. "I'm your friend, see?.." Connor gives a nervous chuckle. "I know your name... We're here to save your owner..."