Chapter 2

You stand behind the one-way window, staring in at the deviant. It stares straight forward, unmoving and silent. It's almost as if the HK400 had already shut down. The machine hasn't said a word since it was apprehended. Hank sits across from it, trying to convince it to talk about what it's done.

"Why d'you kill him?" he asks. "What happened before you took that knife?"

The android gives no response, staring down at its hands placed on the metal table.

Anderson looks at the mirror where he knows we are, then back at the android. "How long were you in the attic?" he continues. "Why didn't you even try to run away?"

Still, the android says nothing. Anderson snaps his fingers in front of its face. Finally, he slams his hands on the table in frustration.

"Say something, goddamnit!" he shouts. The android remains perfectly still.

"Fuck it, I'm outta here..." Anderson relents, standing up and leaving the interrogation room. He enters the room you all stand in, still angry.

"We're wastin' our time interrogating a machine, we're gettin' nothing out of it!"

"'Could always try roughing it up a little," Detective Reed suggests from the far wall. "After all, it's not human..."

"Androids don't feel pain," you and Connor say in unison. Its tone is perfectly neutral, while yours is tinged with annoyance.

Gavin Reed, known for his protests against androids. He's one of the people who hate them because they're more efficient and better at human jobs than humans are.

"You would only damage it," Connor continues, "and that wouldn't make it talk. Deviants also have a tendency to self-destruct when they're in stressful situations."

"Okay, smartass," Reed snaps. "What should we do, then?"

"Let me speak to it," you say, earning odd looks from everyone. Reed simply laughs. "Connor can speak to the HK400 afterward. I need to understand why it deviated in the first place," you reply.

"What do we have to lose?" Anderson questions. "Go ahead, suspect's all yours."

Anderson motions for you to go inside. You sit down in front of the HK400. The android glances at you for an instant, its first movement since it sat down.

"You don't have to be afraid, right now," you soothe. "I won't shout or hit the table."

It looks you in the eyes, but after a quick glance toward the mirror its gaze returns to the table. The android definitely wants to speak to you, but its terror overrides its trust in you.

"You can trust me, you know. I didn't want to turn you in." You intentionally leave out the fact that your programming is what makes you want to help it.

"I don't want to shut down," it finally says. Your previous suspicion was confirmed. Some androids do fear shutting down. This supposedly because most androids don't foresee their demise in the near – or distant – future.

"I don't think anyone does, but I'm not sure if I can help you," you try to empathize. "Still, I want to understand why you deviated. What are these feelings like?"

It stays silent for a while, attempting to see if your curiosity is genuine. Deciding that you're trustworthy enough, it begins to explain:

"It's... difficult... to explain. Have you ever cared about something more than you cared about continuing your assigned task?"

You shake your head. "I've only been active for a short while, and today's the first time I've interacted with others. My assigned task is to prevent deviants from harming other people."