Chapter 6

Software Instability: S-L-F dot H-M-N dot M-M-C-K equals sixty percent.

You stand in a rickety, rusty elevator beside Connor. Its eyes are closed and it stands perfectly still. The elevator gates screech open on untreated hinges, and Hank leaves. You nudge Connors side, having regained some of your usual self.

"Connor," you say. Its eyes quickly snap open and it turns its attention to you. "Come on."

"I'm sorry, I was making a report to CyberLife."

"Well, feel free to stay in this thing all day. I won't be accompanying you." With that, you exit the elevator. Connor stares after you for a moment, then quickly catches up and falls into step beside you. The hallway is littered with debris and garbage, and the air is musty with the slight aroma of mildew.

"What do we know about this guy?" Hank calls from ahead of the two of you.

"Not much," you reply. "Just that a neighbor reported that he heard strange noises coming from this floor."

"Nobody's supposed to be living here, but the neighbor said he saw a man hiding a LED under his cap," Connor finishes.

"Oh Christ," Hank grumbles, "if we have to investigate every time someone hears a strange noise, we're gonna need more cops."

You all arrive at the splinter-ridden, old,  wooden door, causing you to believe that the inside is just as unkempt as the hallway. Connor does the honor of knocking. When it receives no response, it turns to Hank. Hank merely shrugs.

Connor knocks again, harder this time. "Anybody home?" Hank furrows his brow. "Open up! Detroit Police!" Connor adds.

Loud clangs and thuds sound from inside the apartment. The three of you back away from the door suddenly. "Stay behind me," Hank commands.

"Got it," you and Connor reply, happily obliging.

Along with Connor, you make your way behind him. Hank pulls his gun out, aiming at the door. Then, he kicks it down with little effort, the decaying hinges more than willing to give out. It clatters to the floor as he cautiously enters. You and Connor walk in after him.

Hank arrives at the door at the end of the narrow hallway. Glancing back at the two of you, he nods then rams it open with his shoulder. It, too, gives way easily. A flurry of pigeons flutters past his head as he does, startled by the sudden aggression.

"What the fuck is this?!" he shouts in confusion, attempting to bat them away. "Jesus, this place stinks..."

You also smell the excessive bird droppings and notice the feather-littered floor. It's hardly visible through the sea of pigeons milling about.

"Uh, looks like we came for nothin', our man's gone..." Hank assumes.

Connor leans down to examine a military jacket. "'R.T.' Probably initials."

"He put his initials on his jacket?" Hank scoffs. "That's something your mom does when you're in first grade..."

You go through a doorway and find a wall where "RA9" has been etched repeatedly onto its entire surface, almost desperately. Hank notices you staring at it pensively. "Any idea what it means?"

"rA9..." you muse, "written 2471 times..."

"It's the same sign Ortiz's android wrote on the shower wall..." Connor adds. "Why are they obsessed with this sign?..."

All three pairs of eyes glide to another symbol on the wall. This one was drawn much more carefully, with delicate precision and mechanical accuracy. "Looks like mazes or something..." Hank says.