Afraid

Declan's POV.

The next week went by much like my second day of school. I hung out with the Cullens, Alice told me more about her and her power, and I went home. For being friends with a group of vampires, shit can get pretty boring. Well, not boring, just normal.

Edward came back yesterday, like Alice said he would. He came home and he even went to school, where he apparently talked to Bella. He kindly apologized and even made small talk with her.

For the past fifteen hours, Bella has asked me constantly about the Cullen kids. What they were like? Where Edward was? How we became friends? Tons of questions that I didn't know how to answer as well. Questions that weren't really questions more so like her pondering out loud to me.

Don't they seem a bit off to you?

They all look very alike for them all being adopted.

I feel like there's something more going on.

All of these things were topics I couldn't talk about. I didn't want to lie to Bella, especially if she's going to find out anyway, but I also cannot reveal my friends secret.

I still wonder what will be the reason Bella starts questioning whether or not the Cullens are human. Right now she just thinks they are odd and maybe a bit suspicious, but I doubt she thinks they are anything but human.

Not that they have given her any reasons to question them. They act human constantly, even I haven't seen them do anything that would blow their cover. So how will Bella realize that they are something else, how will she learn that there's more than just human?

The anxiety of being a new to Forks high school was lessened when I woke this morning. Less and less people have been staring and less and less people have been whispering and pointing at Bella and I. Which is a relief of course but now I fear that people will start spreading rumors or in general being less shy about their judgements.

I hear the whispers, the whispers about me and many about where I came from and my gender identity. Whispers about whether or not I've had "the surgery" and if I live with Charlie now because my parents kicked me out.

Lots of false suspicions but the ones that bother me the most usually involved the Cullens. People will say such rude and foul things about them, then they will turn around and compliment Alice's outfit and act like it never happened. I wonder what they would do if they knew that the Cullens hear every word said about them.

I watched the snow covered trees pass by as Bella drove us to school. I usually hated driving in the snow but, Bella is a great driver and Charlie put snow chains on her tires. Although, I still don't trust the other drivers on the black ice covered road.

We arrived in the school parking lot and Bella parked her truck and swiftly got out. I followed suit after taking a few deep breaths trying to shake the terrible feeling I have in my chest. It feels like someone has gripped my ribcage with their icy hands.

"I'm going to get to class," I said to Bella as I walked past her. "I need to hand in my essay."

"Go ahead. You don't want to be late." She smiled and waved me off and looked back to the snow chains on her tires.

I walked to the side walk and towards Jasper who was waiting outside the building for me. I looked to my left and saw Edward on the far corner of the lot and hoped he was still trying to be nice to Bella. I don't think I'd let him get away with making Bella cry again.

Suddenly I heard a terrible screeching noise, a familiar awful heart wrenching noise. A car sliding and a driving slamming on the brakes. I quickly turned and saw Tyler's van speeding in Bella's direction and her frozen in fear, her brown eyes wide.