In This Life

Declan's POV

I panted as I flew above the neighborhood I momentarily lived in with Bella and Renee. Growing tired with every flap of my wings, I perched in a tree for a quick rest.

Everyone is going to be so mad.

Literally everyone. Carlisle and Esme will probably be the most upset. Carlisle, poor Carlisle. I promised him I'd stay safe and now here I am, flying into the arms of the danger.

I'm sure with time he'll forgive me. He's a kind person and he can't stay mad at me forever, but the fact that I know he will be disappointed in me is making me hesitate.

I've never felt so reluctant, so hesitant. I used to always be so sure and confident in my actions. Every choice I made I was sure it was for the best. Has moving to Forks and meeting the Cullens changed me?

Taking a deep breath, I hopped from the tree branch and began to soar again. I pumped my wings to make me gain some height and spread them wide to keep me soaring above the houses below. I am growing closer to my destination with every second and my anxiety is growing as well.

If this is a trap, better me falling for it than someone else. Better me than Bella. Better me than Carlisle. Then again, Carlisle would've came up with a better plan because he's actually smart.

Seeing as I'm the only one who can fly, maybe I am best to be scoping things out. I don't even need to get close to see what's really going on. If I don't need to get close then James might not even know I was there.

As I grew closer to the house and could see it down the street, I circled the street a few times. Once I found the right place to land near the house, I flew closer. After reaching the roof of the neighbors house, I landed as softly as I could manage on the edge.

I shook my wings out and pulled them in against my back I'm an attempt to conceal them without putting them away. I stayed quiet and listened for movement.

It's nighttime so everyone in the neighboring houses are settling down for the night which is making things eerily quiet. Yet, I don't hear any movement coming from Bella's old house. Is there anyone even in there?

That's where James is supposed to be, right? This is where he called from, why wouldn't he be here? Did he leave?

Leaping from the roof, I soared the short way to the roof of Bella's old house. I landed near the closest windows and peaked through them.

Nothing looks out of the ordinary. There's no sign of a struggle or anything. I can see the table where the phone sits right now and it looks as pristine as it was when we left.

Deciding to explore more, I slid off the roof to land on the ground below. I crept to the back of the house and looked through the kitchen window.

Nothing, same as the upstairs window. Everything is completely in order, nothing looks a inch out of place. The chairs are all pushed in, the countertops are cleared off and cleaned.

What does this mean? Did he take Renee away from here? The room! The room with the mirrors! Did he take Renee to the room with the mirrors?

I should check to see if Renee's scent is around or any unfamiliar scents. I'll check around the back door and the front door. If I catch a heavy new scent I'll call Jasper and have him check it out.

The more time I spend alone the more upset everyone will be with me so I guess I should get Jasper to come with me. Not until I find something worth while though.

I moved to the back sliding glass door and took some deep breaths, collecting the scents around the door. I found no signs or Renee or anyone for that matter.