The Night Will Save Us

Declan's POV.

"Carlisle?" I asked the man as he parked the car next to Jasper's. "Why are you so tall?"

"What? What do you mean?" He turned to look at me before getting out of the car.

I climbed out of the backseat, struggling a bit with the baseballs and the bat. Esme was at my side instantly taking the balls from the crook of my elbow.

"Your clearly over six feet tall. But you're from the sixteen hundreds, weren't men really short back then?" I stood by the door with the bat, looking at his confused face.

I heard Esme's small giggle, "here we go again."

Carlisle rolled his eyes at Esme's words before he started walking away from the car.

I moved to Esme's side and walked next to her, small laughs escaping my lips. Esme nudged my shoulder with her own with a quiet laugh of her own.

"Yeah, weren't guys only like five foot five then?" I called after Carlisle. "So why are you so tall?"

"My father was tall." He stated simply.

I sped up so I could catch up to him. His face was amused, I love when he looks happy. I'm grateful that he knows that my teasing is harmless and he usually teases me back.

"Is that why you're so humble? Cause all your clothes were too small?" I huffed out a loud laugh. "That's why you're so nice, you were a mutant!"

Esme's laughs grew louder as she went up to Carlisle's other side. "He's finding out all your secrets, Carlisle."

"You two are insufferable." He smiled and shook his head.

I scoffed and moved to nudge his elbow with my own. "Oh cmon, if I wasn't here right now you would be so sad."

"That's true," he looked at me with his bright eyes. "I would be."

In the near distance I could see Rosalie sitting on a rock with Emmett standing next to her, and Jasper and Alice suddenly appeared next to it. They four seemed to talk amongst themselves and Jasper turned to wave at us three with a smile.

So, baseball is what brings everyone together in the Cullen family. I could see Rosalie smiling from here, so her sour mood about Bella is gone. Everyone seems excited and just overall happier.

I smiled at the thought of all the Cullens playing together and getting along. Them having this time where they all are together, I bet that's rare. Is baseball really that important?

"Declan!" Emmett called once we reached the large rock, "and you two are here too." He gestured to Esme and Carlisle.

I watched Carlisle roll his eyes and then pat my shoulder before walking away. He left in the direction of the center of the huge field.

I climbed up on the rock and sat next to Rosalie, "you look excited."

She smiled at me, "I love competition, what can I say?"

I ran my fingers trough my hair with a soft grin, "what are the teams?"

She held out both hands, starting to count if the left, "Carlisle, Jasper, and me." One the other hand she counted. "Emmett, Alice, and Edward."

"Okay, so team blonde against team not blonde." I nodded as I gathered the information. "What about Esme?"

Esme sat next to me on the rock, "I'm the designated catcher, and I prefer to umpire."