The Bird That Follows Me

Declan's POV.

       I spent the rest of the night and the early morning thinking that I was harsh on Bella. I know that I should've talked to her, but I didn't have to be so mean. Bella's never been one to benefit from tough love.

     Or so I thought.

     After I woke up and I could smell food, I quickly rushed downstairs to make sure that Charlie wasn't trying to cook. When I got there however, I paused in the doorway at the sight of Bella at the stove.

       She hasn't cooked anything since they left, she hasn't done anything. She didn't look happier or better but she was doing something more than sitting around and being sad.

      I just quietly sat down at the table and hoped that when Charlie woke up he'd do the same. I know that if we start asking her questions and acting odd towards her it won't help. We all just need to act like this is normal, even though all I wanna do is jump and and hug her.

     Charlie's shocked expression when he entered the kitchen was amusing, and thankfully he didn't cause a scene.

      We all just sat and ate breakfast quietly, like we used to. It was, for a brief moment, like things never changed. I can't decide if that's better.

      Is is better if things go back to how they were before we met the Cullens? I think for now it is. Eventually maybe things will be different in the good way. Bella and I can someday acknowledge how we've grown and changed after this.

     After that, things did get somewhat better.

     Bella was still noticeably depressed, but she was functioning. She cooked more often and ate at the table with Charlie and I. At one point she went out with her friend Jessica, and after that she started talking to Jacob Black more.

     She literally started going to his house everyday after school. I have no idea what they do when they're together but it's also not my business. If Bella wanted me involved she would invite me.

     I went back to school, which sucked of course. In general I got used to not having to sit in classrooms all day, but some of the students are what made it really bad.

     Like I thought, a few rude people insisted on asking me where I was. Someone started a rumor that I got the surgery. As in they think I have a dick, which means that everyone is looking at me like I'm some sort of freak. As if they didn't feel that way before.

    I mostly sat by myself in classes and at lunch. Angela and Bella sometimes ask me to sit with their group, so then I'll join them and sit quietly at their table. It's just easier to sit alone, I can do my homework and work on sketches. Rather than sit with people who might ask me questions I don't want to answer.

     It's not that having questions is bad, it's just that there's a proper way to ask them. There's also just some things that you have to accept that they aren't your business. I find that people have a hard time with that concept sometimes.

    I'm mostly okay with answering questions that my friends or family have. However when this random ass kid I never talk to wants to know how big my new dick is, I have to try and control my anger. I think if I bared my fangs and hissed at some kid it would be hard to come back from.

     A couple weeks went by, each day the same. I decided that I needed to make it interesting myself since I had no one to do it for me.

     So I flew to Port Angeles, not really sure why I thought it be more fun there but it beats sitting in the house all night.