After all these years

The next morning I woke up and made my way to the kitchen. Once I walked in I seen Brielle sitting at the bar with coffee in her hand.

"Good morning", she greeted.

"Morning", I replied.

"So let me tell you about my time with Mr. Right yesterday"

"Spill the tea"

"Well long story short, he is the PERFECT man. He has a good job, of course, he's polite and he's extremely smart. He most definitely has my blessing".

Thinking about what she said, she has really grown on me. She is like the sister I had always wanted. She is always here and she is very protective of me. Which made me ask,

"Do you want to move in with me"?

"Finally, I thought you'd never ask" she replied.

We sat in the kitchen and chatted until it was time to go to work.

As soon as we got to the hospital, I seen Nate. He had a worried look on his face.

"Hey Nate, is everything okay?" I asked him.

"Hey Athena, I'm fine, it's just that—-"

"Nate, I've been looking all over for you babe", said a woman I've never seen before, as she gave him a kiss. "Who is she"

Before Nate could reply I quickly said " I have to go", and walked away.

As I were walking down the hall, I could hear him calling me, but I didn't acknowledge him.

Throughout the whole day I've been on Peds and I LOVED it. The little people, as my mom called them, brightened up my day. There was a child named Noa who needed a kidney transplant and even though they haven't found her one, was the happiest little girl ever. When I finished my duties I went to the lounge to find Brie.

When I found her, she could tell by the look on my face that something was wrong.

"What's the matter, who did it" she asked like an overprotective sister would.

Holding back sobs, all I could say was "Nate".

At that instant, Nate paged me wanting me to scrub in. Even though I don't want to see him right now, he is still a higher up. A coronary artery bypass is a common procedure, but still takes at least three hours to complete. Walking into the OR, Nate had already started the procedure. Noticing me, he greeted me and smiled. Ignoring him, I grabbed the suction tube and proceeded with my duty.

During the surgery he decided to explain himself. "Her name is Mia. We were high school and college sweethearts but went our separate ways when I got accepted into medical school, and she went on to work as a fashion designer for Versace. She is one of my sister's best friends so I guess that's how she found me here. I haven't talked to her since graduation. She came to tell me that she's still in love with me after all these years", he said as he finished the last suture.

Without letting him finish, I took off my scrub gown and gloves and bolted to the lounge. When I got there, I seen Mia, waiting on Nathan, I assumed.

"He's mine you know" she taunted.

"He's not yours because he took me out on a date and you're not married and you guys haven't talked in like eight years", I smirked, signaling that she doesn't scare me.

"Yet," she said as she raised her left hand with a diamond ring sitting on her ring finger. "You will never belong, it's better if you get it in you're head now. You will never be me".

Tired of listening to her I realized that my shift was over so I grabbed my belongings and left, bumping into Nathaniel as I walked out.

I waited in the car for Brielle to come out. Once she got in the car, she drove us down to baskin Robbins and drove us to the pier where we walked on the boardwalk and talked.