The Butterfly Effect

"Can we just wait until tomorrow, there's a storm coming and I don't know if his daughters can come, you know for support," I tried to reason with her.

"I've already called them and they're on their way, now Dr. Blake, I need you to prep this patient for the OR now" Dr. Scott ordered.

As I was about to protest, Alan interrupted,

"Athena, if you don't mind, I need to talk to Dr. Scott privately", he said.

Nodding I left the room. After a few minutes, Dr. Scott came out and told me to prep him for the OR. There was something about her facial expression that made me feel worried.

As I was taking him to the OR, I asked him,

"What did you and Dr. Scott talk about?"

"Oh nothing major, just tying some loose ends you know, before I croak", he joked.

"You're not going to die Alan. I have faith in you and Dr. Scott"

"Yea, but you know, just in case", he said as we went into OR 3.

Transferring him from the gurney to the operating table, the anesthesiologist began to explain to him that she was going to induce the anesthesia and that he will be falling asleep soon.

As soon as he went under, Dr. Scott went straight to work on the craniotomy. The first thing she did was enter a shunt into his brain to drain all of the brain and spinal fluid. By doing this, a nurse shaved his hair on the area that the procedure would be done, which is behind his ear. Dr. Scott then made an incision as well as drilled a tiny hole to put the catheter in. Once she put the catheter in the fluid drained from the brain and spine into the abdominal area for it to be absorbed. This procedure took about an hour and thirty minutes. After this, she let me insert the deep brain stimulator and the intracranial  pressure monitor, with her guidance. After this is where all the real fun happens. She starts to take out the brain tumors one by one.

"So, Dr. Scott, what did you and Alan talk about while I patiently waited in the hall" I asked.

"Dr. Blake, you know under the HIPAA law, I can't give you that information"

"Can't blame a girl for trying"

"That's true. Here," she said as she handed me the forceps, "take out this brain tumor. It's fairly small and it's in one of the easiest places to extract. You can if you're up to it."

Taking the forceps from her, I started to extract  the tumor.

As soon as I finished extracting the tumor,  the nurse said that Alan went into Afib (atrial fibrillation). 

"He is having a myocardial infarction (heart attacking)" I yelled.

"Page Dr. Wright and tell him it's a code blue", Dr. Scott exclaimed.

It was too much stress on his brain which caused his heart attack. I climbed on top of Alan and proceeded with chest compressions.

After about a minute of chest compressions Nathaniel came running in. As Dr. Scott sewed up Alan's brain, Nathan began to get the defibrillator.

"Clear" he yelled as everyone began to remove their hands.

As Alan's body jolted, his heart rhythm didn't improve.

"Charge to 200, clear"

Still no change.

Feeling like this was Alan's last strand, I continued to do compressions.

"Come on Alan stay with me, stay with me Alan," I plead with him continuing with the compressions.

The next thing I knew, his heart rate was asystolic.

"Dr. Blake, it's nothing else we can do. Time of death 18:40", Dr. Scott said.

Taking off my surgical gown I stormed out of the OR and went outside to sit in the pouring rain so that my tears wouldn't be noticeable. Even though I've only known him for a day, I felt like I knew him for a lifetime. I shared stories with him that I haven't even shared with Brielle. That's why I don't get involved with patients. I knew that he was going to die sooner or later, by the butterfly sign, but I still let myself in too deep. I honestly felt resentment toward him as well. This was the THIRD guy in my life to let me down. First my ex, then Nathan and now Alan. As I began to sob Nathan came out and cuddled and consoled me. Looking down at me, he stared deeply into my eyes, wiped my tears, and kissed me. Kissing him back, I caught myself.

"You're getting married, what are you doing?" I exclaimed.

A look of confusion crossed his face, "Married? I'm not getting married to anyone Athena"

"Then why did Mia say that you guys were engaged, she showed me a ring and everything"

He scratched his head. "Dunno, but I'll ask my sister about it. Mia just wants to make you jealous since she sees you as a threat. I don't want to be with her, I only want to be with you, and that's why she's trying so hard to run you away"

What he is saying makes all the sense in the world.

"Why didn't you tel me this any sooner?"

"Because you were ignoring my calls"

"Speaking of calls, how did you get my number anyway?"

"The chief is a friend of mine", he says chuckling. "Let's get you home. Did you drive?"

"No Brie brought me."

"Well can I take you home," he asked as as he held out his arm.

Taking his arm, we proceeded to walk to his car. As we got in, he decided to take a detour and take me to his house instead.

Authors note: hey guys. How are you liking the back to back updates. Feel free to comment whether or not my chapters are long enough and constructive criticism. It also helps me to be more motivated to write if you guys comment as well. Thaaaaannnnnksss guyyyyssss :)