Scared Crow

The entire ride back home was torture. Scott and Stiles would not stop asking me about my health and what happened. Once I answered one of their questions then another two more would come. Those boys definitely know how to give me a headache.

Make them stop. I don't know how. Well, you better figure it out before I go all ninja on these guys and karate chop them away. Um. No. You okay there? I'm tired. And annoyed. We haven't eaten in a while. I want food. We will get food later. Food. No. Feed me, Seymour. Are you high? No. I'm hungry. Geez. Ok ok, we will get food soon.

"Nala! Nala!" I pop my head up and look at Stiles. "What?" I tilt my head to the side. "Have you even been listening to me?!" He kinda yells like an angry dad. "Yeeees?" I lie. He sighs and rolls his eyes. "God I was asking how do you know Derek?" Do you mean Mr. Hot Stuff? Oh my god if you don't shut up. Fight me.

"I don't. He just helped me after I got into a fight with this drunk and horny boy." I didn't expect the reaction that I got, which was Scott almost crashing the car. He jerked his foot on the brakes but he stopped fast enough to not halt us to a stop. Instead, we just ended up going a little bit slower as he quickly asked: "What did he try to do to you?" I rolled my eyes, knowing it wasn't that big of a deal. "He mainly just tried to hook up with me but don't worry I was able to defend myself. I only got knocked out when Derek called for me and it threw me off."

Both boys did not enjoy me bringing back up how I was attacked and fell unconscious but there wasn't much either of them could do. Scott just sighed and nodded along. "Well if it means anything, I'm glad you're okay." He looked at me through the rear-view mirror and I gave him a small smile. He gave one back. The rest of the ride was silent with not even the radio playing. 

They finally dropped me off at home and we said our goodbyes. "Be safe, ok?" Stiles told me and I nodded while yelling "Whatever you say, dad!" as I walked up to my driveway. I watched them drive off once I had opened the door to my house. My aunt immediately came running at me and she pulled me into her arms. 

"Oh my god, I was so worried Nalana! Where were you? Are you hurt? Oh, I am so sorry for not trying to come and find you!" I pulled her off of me as I patted her shoulders. "I am fine Aunt Kat. I just had a little bit too much to drink so my friend took me to his house. We did not do anything, I promise. He just wanted to make sure I was safe." She bit her lip and looked down. "I guess so... I'm just worried about you dear." 

She hugged me one more time before pulling away. "Well uh, are you hungry? I can make you something to eat if you would like? You've had a rough time." I shake my head but smile anyway. "I'm okay for now. I mainly just need to go finish up a little bit of school work before the weekend ends. I'll help with dinner tonight though." She smiles back at me. "Oh, that's okay dear. You enjoy your Saturday."

I thank her and right as I start heading off to go upstairs, she calls me again. "By the way Nala, there's been a bird outside your window all day. I think it's a crow but I'm not quite sure. It seemed hurt or scared or somethin. I tried to get rid of it but it wouldn't go away so be careful with that." I give her a confused look but nod anyway and go to my room.

A crow? Why do you think a crow has been outside our window? I have no idea. And a scared one? That doesn't make sense. I mean unless you call the play on words of a 'scared crow'. Heh heh... Get it? Like a scarecrow?  You can stop talking now. You love my comedy. Once I get in there and close my door, I walk over to the window. Sure enough, there it was. But it wasn't a crow. It was a raven. And it peered at me with interesting eyes.

For some reason, I decide to open up my window and let it in. It immediately flies over to my desk and rests there. I flash my yellow eyes at it and it... Nods? I don't know but it seemed to try to communicate with me. Hey, wait! I think we've read something about this somewhere. I thought about it for a second and then it clicked. I went to my phone and googled "wolves and ravens

I instantly read this paragraph. "The birds serve the wolves as extra eyes and ears.  Ravens may also lead wolves to animal cadavers or to nearby prey. It is believed that the wolves may respond to the ravens' calls or other behavior that indicates food. Sometimes when the ravens fly, the wolves will follow."

I almost couldn't believe it. The thought or almost having a pet raven to help me. I don't know if that was what was happening but I was very interested. The benefits of having another set of eyes and ears in the open world could work wonders. 

I reach over and lightly stroke the bird. It backed away at first but once I flashed my eyes again at it and it knew I didn't mean harm, it let me touch its neck. I sat on my bed and raised my arm while bouncing it once. It understood my call and flew to my arm. There I pet it and tried to find different ways to call it or make a bond. It seemed to respond well with only one name I tried to give it. 

"Alright... Coal it is." 

Coal squawked.