Chapter 7: Dandelions and Other Flowers

Dean didn't mention the kiss the next day, and Cas thought it best not to bring it up. Dean, he knew, was not someone who did well when it came to his emotions.

But the hunter seemed happier the next day, and Cas beamed when he noticed that the sun was shining, and it was the perfect day to check another item off the list. 

"Where are we headed this time?" Dean asked, smiling at the angel. 

"A garden." Cas explained. 

"A garden?"

"Somewhere with flowers. And lots of them." Dean thought for a minute. 

"There's a park not too far from here," he suggested. Cas grinned broadly and nodded. 

Within the hour, the two were casually walking through the park. Dean glanced around, but he had no idea what sort of flower Cas was looking for or why. Cas, on the other hand, had spotted multiple couples wandering the park, and decided to make a move.

Dean had kissed him, he reminded himself. Dean had made the first move. Dean liked him the same way that he liked Dean. He wouldn't mind. 

So the angel went out on a limb, and grabbed Dean's hand, entwining their fingers as they kept walking. 

The hunter glanced down at their hands, then gave the angel an odd look, but Cas didn't meet his eyes, having gotten distracted by a flying bumblebee.Dean smirked, not saying a word as he squeezed the angel's hand and they kept walking. 

Cas's smile grew even wider.

They stopped at a plant of pale pink flowers, and Cas knelt beside them, admiring the petals.

"It's fascinating, isn't it?" He whispered. "The way every flower is a little different from another? How there are so many different types and colors and shapes. And yet they're all so delicate and beautiful."

"Yeah." Dean agreed. "They're nice."

"They're more then NICE!" Cas declared. "Stop and APPRECIATE THE FLOWERS DEAN."

Dean rolled his eyes, stared at a flower and sniffed it.

"Are you savoring the flower's beauty, Dean?" Cas demanded.

"Oh yes." Dean nodded. "Flower power forever." Cas laughed and they kept walking.

The angel pointed out dozens of different flowers, listing off random facts about each one, from their origin to unusual traits.

Dean listened closely, but he found himself admiring the glow in Cas's eyes, and the smile on his face more then any flower.  

"Even the dandelions are pretty." Cas declared.

"Dandelions are annoying." Dean objected, but Cas didn't listen as he dove to the ground, blowing on the white dandelions so that little white fluff went flying into the air. "Did you make a wish?" Dean asked. Cas tilted his head.

"You're supposed to make a wish before blowing on a dandelion." He explained. So Cas went and found another, squeezing his eyes shut as he silently wished before blowing on the flower.

"What'd you wish for?" Dean asked.

"You're not supposed to tell." Cas declared. "Otherwise it might not come true."

"Oh come on, you can tell me!"

"Nope!" The angel spotted a rose and darted over to the bush, Dean on his heels. "They're so beautiful," Cas declared, watching the rose bush.

"They're the second prettiest thing in the whole park." Dean offered slyly. Cas tilted his head in confusion. 

"What's the first?" Dean stared at him.

"I'm looking at it." He said fondly. Cas frowned in confusion, turning to look past him in case there was something interesting. Dean laughed. "It's YOU!" He explained. Realization echoed through Cas.

"Oooooooh." Cas narrowed his eyebrows. "Was that a flirtation?"

"That was definitely a flirtation." Dean confirmed.

"I like your flirtations."

"They're called pick-up lines."

"Why?"

"Because they are supposed to help you pick up chicks." Cas looked extremely confused.

"Why would you need a pick-up line to help you pick up baby chickens? I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you just grabbed them and held them." Dean burst out laughing, leaving the angel even more confused.

Dean sighed in content, shaking his head at Cas.

"You're adorable." He commented.

"Well, you're...." Cas paused. "attractive."

"Was that a flirtation?" Dean repeated, raising an eyebrow.

"No, that was a compliment." Cas explained. "This is a flirtation." He grabbed Dean's shirt with one hand, and pressed their lips together. Dean leaned in, kissing him back. But then Cas pulled back, sending Dean spinning.

It took the hunter a moment to regain his senses, and he noted that as they kissed, Cas had slipped a flower into the pocket of his plaid shirt.

He smiled at it before glancing up and looking for the angel.

Cas was walking away from him, but he winked flirtatiously at the hunter before turning and walking further away.

Dean sprinted to catch up with him.