Chapter 9: Stars and Sunrises

Dean woke up slowly, blinking as the black leather of the Impala came into view. He paused, momentarily forgetting why he was in the backseat of the car, before the memories washed over him. A sly grin spread across his face as he remembered.

Cas.

As if on cue, the angel shifted beside him, nuzzling his head into Dean's neck.

"Hello Dean," Cas mumbled, causing the hunter's smile to grow.

"Morning Cas," he replied hoarsely, moving so that he could properly wrap his arms around the angel.

"It's not morning, Dean." Cas offered. "You slept all day." Sure enough, Dean could make out the night sky from the Impala's window.

"You could've woken me," 

"But you were so peaceful; I didn't want to disturb you." 

"So, what? You just laid here and watched me sleep?" 

".....Yes." If it were anyone else, Dean would've been seriously creeped out. But for some reason, he kind of liked the image of Cas's innocent blue eyes watching over him. Dean smirked at his angel and rolled his eyes.

"You're adorable." 

"You keep saying that."

"Because it's true."

"Dean, I'm an all-powerful being. I could smite you, and burn out your brains if I wanted to."

"I know."

"I can also beat the crap out of you." Cas added, hugging the Winchester.

"I know that too. You've done it before."

"So, HOW exactly, am I adorable?"

"Because you just ARE!" Dean exclaimed. "You're cute, and you have those innocent, gorgeous blue eyes, and you're clueless about the simplest of things, and you tilt your head like a puppy when you're confused, and that makes you adorable." 

"Dean." Cas whispered, his voice quieter, and his eyes wide.

"Yeah?"

"My eyes aren't supposed to be blue to you."

"What?" Dean raised an eyebrow. Cas's eyes were, in Dean's opinion, is very best feature.

Second best, his brain objected. You forgot about his ass.

"Jimmy Novak has brown eyes, Dean."

"But-" Dean paused, thinking back. He couldn't remember a time when Cas didn't have blue eyes. Except when he hadn't been possessing Jimmy..... "Cas, why do you have blue eyes to me?" The angel stared at him.

"Well, sometimes bits of an angel slip through their vessel. That's why not everyone can hold us. In my true form, I have blue eyes. Maybe that's just what you see."

"Surely I'm not the only one, right? Others notice you have blue eyes, don't they?" Cas shook his head.

"No one has ever mentioned it but you, Dean."

"...What does that mean?"

"I think it means...." Cas smiled, and his next words were spoken in a different voice. A voice that Dean vaguely recognized, but couldn't quite place. "You can see my true form, Dean." 

Dean shook his head.

"That's impossible. I couldn't even listen to your real voice the first time." 

"But you can now." Cas replied, his voice still strange as he spoke in his true voice.

"What does that mean?" 

"I'm not sure." Cas admitted, his voice returning to usual as he stared at Dean. "I'm not sure..."

Dean glanced around, his eyes landing on the small view of the night sky.

"Hey Cas," He grinned. "Weren't stars on the list?"

"Yes, why?"

"Well, we wasted one day, so we might as well check something off the list." Cas raised an eyebrow.

"Wasted one day, huh?" 

"You know what I mean."

"Do I?" Cas teased, tilting his head. Dean wriggled his way towards the car door and sighed.

"Angel, if it were up to me, I'd waste every day just like this."

"I'd like that." They smiled and stumbled out of the Impala, staring up at the sky.

"I've always liked stars." Dean admitted. "They were one of the few things that were always there, no matter where Sam and I went."

"They look so beautiful from this side." Cas offered. 

"What do you mean?"

"Stars are just little pockets in heaven where you can see down to Earth. From the other side, they aren't as....hopeful looking."

"So there could be angels watching us through the stars?"

"Yes. Some angels have their own stars because they watch the humans so often." Cas scanned the sky, and then pointed at a particularly bright star. "That's mine."

Dean smiled at it.

"You watched us humans often, did you?"

"Of course. Humans are wonderful. And then you came along," Cas smiled fondly. "Well, I just couldn't take my eyes off of you."

"Do you think any angels are watching us now?"

"Dean."

"Yeah?"

"We both just stumbled out of the backseat of your car, where we have been for a day after spending several hours doing highly inappropriate things."

"So?"

"I'm pretty sure every angel in heaven is watching us right now."

"Oh." Dean watched the sky, and a smirk grew on his face. "You think those angels would get mad if I did this?"

"Did wha-" Cas's words were cut off as Dean grabbed him by the waist and swept him into a kiss.  The angel's eyes widened before they closed as Cas kissed the hunter back.

They continued to kiss until finally breaking apart.

"Pretty sure if we don't stop there, we'll never finish the list."Cas whispered.

"Probably right." Dean breathed. He didn't understand it, really. Why Cas was different. Why he was the only one Dean wanted to be with, and not just to sleep with; to simply....BE with. Why Cas was someone Dean found himself slowly falling in love with.

"The sun will be coming up soon." Cas commented. "Sunrises were on the list too."

"Then let's check it off." Dean suggested.

"Wanna watch it from the lake?" Cas asked, grinning sly. Dean gave him a deadpan look and slipped off his flannel. 

"Of course."

"No clothes allowed?"

"They are never allowed."