Chapter 13: Carnivals

It took days for Cas and Dean to get even a moment alone after that. Charlie and Sam stalked the couple, snapping pictures and shrieking every time they so much has said hello to one another.

Dean tried his best to sneak the angel away somewhere private, but the fangirls always found their way in.

Even, Dean scowled as he remembered, when he had pulled Cas into the bathroom- Charlie and the moose had been waiting behind the shower curtain. Cas was convinced that Gabriel was teleporting them wherever they were.

But today, Dean was completely positive that he'd have the whole day alone with Cas.

He had seen a sign in the grocery store advertising a small carnival in Lawrence, one weekend only. He made a point to add carnivals to the list after noticing it, and made plans to sneak Cas off to it early in the morning, before Charlie and Sam woke up. That way the pair would wake up, and find their beloved ship gone, and there would be nothing they could do about it.

Dean didn't bother to tell Cas the plan either. His angel was adorable, but not very good at hiding things he was excited about. And Dean knew he would be excited, for Cas had never been to a carnival before.

But, to Dean's surprise, Cas only asked one question as they headed towards the Impala.

"Why are you awake this early?" Cas questioned. "You never wake up before Sam does."

"Because I'm trying to sneak out before he wakes up so that Charlie and him don't follow us," Dean explained. "Now get in the car." 

"Okay." Cas shrugged. He paused, grabbing the handle to the passenger door. "....Am I allowed to sit up front?" Dean laughed.

"Of course you can, angel." Cas grinned and got in the car. Once they were safely away from the bunker, Dean raised an eyebrow.

"Don't you want to know where we're going?" He asked. Cas turned to look at him.

"Would you tell me if I asked?"

"....No."

"Exactly."

"Still though. I woke up early, I didn't eat breakfast, and I'm leading you away from the bunker with no guarantee where we are going- heck, I could be possessed or something, and you'd have no idea." Cas studied him for a moment.

"Nope, you're fine."

"But how would you know?" Cas smiled softly.

"I'd know."

"How though?"

"I know your soul, Dean. I'd notice if it changed." Dean raised an eyebrow.

"Really?"

"Of course. Why do you think I kept asking if you were okay after you got the Mark of Cain?"

"Awww, you're such a big softie, Cas."

"I'm a softie who can beat your ass."

"Anytime you want to, angel." Dean said slyly, causing Cas to blush.

"Where ARE we going?" He asked, eager to change the subject.

"Close your eyes." Dean told him, noting that they were almost there. Cas obliged.

The smell of popcorn and caramel wafted into Cas's nose, and the sound of noisy rides and screaming children filled his ears.

"You can open your eyes now." Dean insisted, and Cas quickly did as he was told, taking in the sight before him.