Spirit Maiden

I am stunned by the news but when I look over at Zelda she has a light in her eyes. One of determination and purpose.

"My sister is the spirit maiden?!?"

The old lady doesn't answer because obviously I heard her the first time.

Zelda speaks up instead. "We need to go and start the rituals as soon as possible then."

"No!"

Both the girls look at me like I am weird for freaking out about the situation.

"You can't be the spirit maiden!"

"Why not?" Zelda challenged. Lifting her chin and staring me down. She looked strong and pure in her goddess dress.

"Zelda, it's not safe." She looks unconvinced. "There will be people coming after you! Trying to kill you!"

"Exactly. That's why we need to leave. Now." She begins pacing back and forth. "The sooner we begin the ritual the better."

"How can you be so calm about this?" I feel angry that she could just accept this new and dangerous role.

"This is my purpose."

I glare at her while she stares right through me. Impa looks back and forth between us. Eventually I give a stiff nod.

"Let's go then."

Zelda offers a ghost of a smile and nods agreement.

"Wait girls." The old woman stops us. "Let me tell you how to complete the nessesary rituals."

It is dark by the time she is finished and Zelda still wants to leave. I am glad when the old woman bids us stay the night. I did decide to accompany Zelda through her journey but that doesn't mean that I am excited about her role in the prophecy the old woman had shared with us. I need to protect my sister. I know she plans to go whether I like it or not.

I lay down beside Zelda. I can't belive how calm everyone else is about everything. Zelda took such life changing news at face value as if she had simply decided what she wanted to wear for the day. I can't be that accepting of it. Soon I hear deep even breathing accompanied by the soft snores of the old woman. I am not sleeping much tonight.

I wake up early in the cool of the morning with a shiver wondering when sleep eventualy overcame me.

I hear shuffling and look over my shoulder to see the old lady prodding my sister awake. I stand up ubruptly to make sure she doesn't reach her stick over to prod at me.

Zelda's eyes snap open and she is soon standing beside me rubbibg her arms against the chill.

"You're both up! Good good." The lady smiles. "Now you must hurry and begin your journey and the ritual. I would have let you sleep longer but I sense a darkness rising quickly."

Zelda needs no further bidding and begings marching out the door after offing a light squeez to the old woman. "Thank you for helping us."

I begin to follow her out but a whithered hand reaches out and chatches me by the wrist. I turn around in confusion at the same time that a necklace is pressed into my hands. The old woman cups her hands over mine, closing my fingers firmly around the blue stones. "It is dangerous out there. Take this. You may find that you need it." She must know that I am about to refuse the gift, "It was given to me by you anyways. Now hurry!" She gives me a push.

Confused I stumble after Zelda.

What did the old lady mean by that? She is so confusing! I shake my head. First I'm an earth child and now apparently a very forgetful time traveler. I slip the necklace over my head. "Hey sis, what's an earth child?"

She looks confused. "Not sure. Why do you ask?"

I sigh. "Yesterday I was called so mamy different things after I arrived on the surface I'm just beginning to feel like maybe I'm not what I thought I was..."

"Oh course not. No one understands you." Zelda jokes.

I let out a half-hearted laugh.

"Hey, don't worry about it." She stops to look me in the eye. "____, you get to choose your destiny, only you can decide who you are."

"So I can be a fortune teller with peircing eyes like Sparrot?"

We both giggle.

"Oh by the way, did I officially become a knoght or not?"

"Well... yes."

"What was that hesitation for?"

"Since nobody knew if you were even going to be able to come back they let the guys race again and Link was knighted."

I thought as much. They couldn't have no new nights. Link is perfect for the job too. Maybe it'll make him a little more responsible. "Did you give him your sailcloth?" I poke her in the side and she flinches.

"Yes." Her cheecks color.

"Awww!" I fail at resisting the urge to ruffle her hair a bit.

We walk through the forest following the landmarks that the old woman had given us. I still can't believe how many trees there are on the surface. Eventually we make it to the first temple.

Zelda gets a new burst of energy and runs up to the grand doors in excitement. "Come on! It's just inside!"

It can't be that easy. I think as I beging climbing the stairs.